Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#98442 - 09/06/2002 08:19 Mysterious Reboots & Visual Changes - Hijack 2.75
pittmike
new poster

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Hi Guys,

after being a more than happy owner of the Empeg, I just upgraded from HiJack 2.65 to 2.75 and experienced the following mysterious thing while being on the road for 8 hours and having my Empeg with me:

The Visual I usually have jumps to the "Now & Next" sometimes, usually at the start of a track or a start of a new album.

Sometimes the player reboots without reason, and continues where it left off. Electrical problems can be ruled out, I already checked on that.

I had the screen saver set up, so I thought that might be the reason. I disabled the Screen Saver, but it came back. Not as often as with the Saver enabled, but once or twice.

Is there any HiJack log or Player log I can post here that helps? Sorry for my ignorant question, I am in IT for quite some time and also develop software. But I never took the time to really dig through that nice little piece of electronics and software.

Thanks.
Mike.

P.S.: I was at Best Buy once and saw that Sony brought out a unit with CD Player, Radio and Harddisk installed. They claim to store 165h of MP3-Music on that unit and that you can rip the MP'3s from its internal CD-Drive. The price tag for it is around 1500 Bucks US.

Anyhow, this thing can never be as flexible as what we have in hands already.

#98443 - 09/06/2002 10:38 Re: Mysterious Reboots & Visual Changes - Hijack 2.75 [Re: pittmike]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Sounds like the "player" software is "restarting", but the Empeg (machine) is probably NOT rebooting.

Confirm?

#98444 - 09/06/2002 20:12 Re: Mysterious Reboots & Visual Changes - Hijack 2.75 [Re: mlord]
accept
new poster

Loc: Queensland, Australia
I am having the same problem, running hijack v2.69, if that matters.
Unit will often freeze while playing a song on Line screen mode, even visual will freeze, no sound , no response to buttons either.
Have to pull out from sled and re-insert, starts up again and continues to play as normal.
Song files are ok
Yes, mlord, player software seems to just restart on its own then continues to play as normal.
Have never noticed this until went on 10hr trip.
any ideas??
Thanks
Glen

#98445 - 10/06/2002 06:11 Re: Mysterious Reboots & Visual Changes - Hijack 2.75 [Re: accept]
mlord
carpal tunnel

No, actually, that sounds like a completely different problem.

The original poster in this thread is seeing the player software crap out and get restarted, whereas you are seeing a user-interface lockup. Nothing in common there.

My guess for your particular problem is that your hard disk is probably having troubles. When the IDE driver starts the "error recovery" go around, everything else locks up. If you can get it to happen on AC power, you'll see log messages out the serial port for it. But if you only see it on DC, then perhaps the player is getting too hot for the drive(s). I have one drive here that is much more temperature sensitive than my others, and produced the same behaviour until I swapped it out into another device.

If your player is still under warranty, then perhaps the Empeg support folks ("David") might be able to help.

Cheers

#98446 - 10/06/2002 10:53 Re: Mysterious Reboots & Visual Changes - Hijack 2.75 [Re: mlord]
pittmike
new poster

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Yes, you're right. The software is rebooting and not the whole unit. Is there any log file being created that gives some additional insight why the software restarted ?

#98447 - 10/06/2002 11:37 Re: Mysterious Reboots & Visual Changes - Hijack 2.75 [Re: pittmike]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Just logging at the usual place: out the serial port.

-ml