Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#99466 - 14/06/2002 07:08 Geniuses, Help me help my disc fsck itself... :(
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
During my drive upgrade, I was trying to copy the fids from my older 30gb drive to my newer one (in addition to adding a 48gb drive). Even though the boot up showed that both drives were detected, when I tried the cp command, it told me that the destination did not exist. Suspecting that the cable connection must be "just barely there" I pulled the power so I could tighten it up and retry. Once I did this, I realised that I had forgotten to ro and rom the drives. So, when I booted up, I was told to do a fsck. I tried this, but when I do, I get the attached junk during stage 5 for the freshly built disk...

I "control-C"'d out of it after about 4 hours. Then, when I tried to do the cp command again, after copying about 4 files, it tells me there there is no space left on the destination folder! WTF? I assumed that this had something to do with the disks not being fsck'd correctly so I tried to fsck them seperately. I was able to fix the drive that has my music on it, but the recently built drive does do anything except spit out that junk... even after re-applying the disk builder and player software...

Any suggestions? It sounds like I corrupted this disk somehow and disk builder doesn't do enough to wipe it clean?

Attachments
97893-junk.gif (146 downloads)

#99467 - 14/06/2002 08:57 Re: Geniuses, Help me help my disc fsck itself... :( [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I'll paypal someone $0.50 if they help me!

#99468 - 14/06/2002 10:33 Re: Geniuses, Help me help my disc fsck itself... :( [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

A text log showing the stuff above those numbers would have been far more useful than a screenshot. Ever noted you can scroll back up in the text window, but loose that option in the screenshot?

That said, this looks like a badly messed upped ext2 filesystem. Is it on /dev/hdb* resp. /dev/hdc*, or is it on /dev/hda*? If the later is the case, it is probably your old harddisc, and you are out of luck. if it is the former, you can recover by simply recreating an ext2 filesystem on the given partition and copy your files over once again. I can't tell more without seeing the upper portion of the fsck.

EDIT: I just re-read your post and saw that it indeed is the new disc that throws those errors. Well, you can simply do a mke2fs -m 0 /dev/hdcX where X is the number of the partition in question (probably the music partition, of which I always forget the exact partition number, which is probably 5). The filesystem might be configured in a better way with some other special options to mke2fs, but this creates a filesystem the player can work with. If mke2fs does not exist on the player (I can't check at the moment), use mkfs.ext2 instead.
After creating the filesystem make sure you copy the whole directory structure and files, including empty directories from the old partition to the new one.

cu,
sven

Edited by smu (14/06/2002 10:41)

#99469 - 14/06/2002 11:05 Re: Geniuses, Help me help my disc fsck itself... :( [Re: smu]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Smu,

Thank you very much.... I will try what you said. It is indeed the new disk that is doing this... I don't know how to create those directories that you talked about , but I'll give it a try. Could I try the commands you recommended and do a disk builder?

Do you have a PayPal address?

#99470 - 14/06/2002 12:14 Re: Geniuses, Help me help my disc fsck itself... :( [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
I assume that the partition table and swap partition on the new disc are still OK, so doing that mke2fs should safe your from needing to do the disc builder. As for the copying (including empty directories where needed), you could use cd /drive0; tar -cf - . | (cd /drive1; tar -xpvf -) this assumes that the old discs music partition is mounted under /drive0 and the new discs music partition is mounted under /drive1 like the original empeg init mounts them.

cu,
sven

PS: paypal@incase.de

#99471 - 14/06/2002 12:31 Re: Geniuses, Help me help my disc fsck itself... :( [Re: smu]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Actually, during the upgrade process, you put the new drive as master and the old one as slave when you copy over the fids... so I'll just swap the 0 and 1. Thank you so much! I was freaking out! I spent like 8 hours on this thing!

#99472 - 14/06/2002 13:49 Re: Geniuses, Help me help my disc fsck itself... :( [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
And you call yourself a Pooh-Bah! Bah hoop bug!

#99473 - 14/06/2002 13:59 Re: Geniuses, Help me help my disc fsck itself... :( [Re: mlord]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

They denied my request for "Post-Whore".