Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#99517 - 14/06/2002 13:38 Windows XP/2000 question
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
You know the feature in XP (I assume 2k as well) when you are filling out a form and it will list previously entered strings that match what you are typing ie name or address?
I assume this is stored in a file somewhere? Anyone know where and is it readable/editable? I have a co-worker that signed up for the FIFA World Cup game and forgot his name and password he used and can't get in to make his bracket selections... I was thinking that the file may list the login name he used... Plus there are a few mis-types I'd liek to remove from my own file (wrong email addy)
Thanks for any help!

#99518 - 14/06/2002 13:46 Re: Windows XP/2000 question [Re: davec]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Well I don't know the first part of your question, I would really hope that wherever those logins/passwords are stored are encrypted somehow, though.

As for typos in the drop-down, you can removed mistaken entries in the drop-down box by scrolling down to them with the up/down arrows and hitting "delete." At least on my IE you can.

#99519 - 14/06/2002 15:02 Re: Windows XP/2000 question [Re: tonyc]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
They are encrypted - for obvious reasons.

Note: not all browser text fields store the text typed in them.
My internet bank disables this in your browser somehow to stop people having their online logins and passwords misused accidentally (or deliberately).

You may find something similar applies here, otherwise try typing a single letter that the person may have used for his login and hope the list of matches is displayed.
By picking on the list of likely candiates he may be able to login in this way.

#99520 - 14/06/2002 15:42 Re: Windows XP/2000 question [Re: davec]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
What's scary is that I've been to sites where my credit card number was remembered. I wasn't too happy about that, even on my own machine.

And yeah, like that guy said, you can delete any of the ones you highlight. Heck, if you want to delete them all, just do like a double click on the feild, highlight the first option with your mouse, and hold down delete.

I do have a question though. I'm not sure if it works like this for any of you, but when I select an option from list, it takes about a second to populate the field with that choice. Sometimes, especially when I'm using the mouse, I'll accidentally move it over another option while I'm moving the cursor away. Is there any way to make your selection immediate? Just curious.