Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#131781 - 20/12/2002 19:50 Can't Communicate from PC to Empeg -- Help!
jimwilks
new poster

Loc: Canada
Hello:

I just received my brand new MK2a unit. I installed the included Emplode V1.02 software on my PC under W2K. When I run the Emplode software, it initally presents the Select Player dialog and I selected just the serial port option. I have plugged the provided serial cable into my PC and powered up the Empeg unit with the AC adapter, but the select player dialog never shows any player. As a second effort, I then plugged in the USB cable and W2K went through the New Hardware Found riocar-empeg routine sucessfully. When that was finished, I went back into Emplode, and this time selected the USB option. Still, it sees no player.

As a third effort, I went to a second PC with a known good serial port and a known good USB port and repeated the same exercise. Once again, I cannot see any player from Emplode!!!

As I have no experience with this player, I don't know how it is supposed to power up. Currently, when I apply power, it shows the RIO logo which freezes at that point. None of the front panel controls or the buttons on the remote have any effect. Is that normal?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

#131782 - 20/12/2002 20:01 Re: Can't Communicate from PC to Empeg -- Help! [Re: jimwilks]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Freezing of the logo is a sign that the hard drive is having issues. Please check the FAQ for troubleshooting steps. Most likely the hard drive cable came loose during shipment. Note that the sync would not work in this case, because the player is unable to boot properly.

#131783 - 20/12/2002 20:02 Re: Can't Communicate from PC to Empeg -- Help! [Re: jimwilks]
Jerz
addict

Loc: Jesusland
I'm definately not as sharp as most others on this board but the first thing you might want to try is to click on the "latest software" link at the top of the page, click "empeg car beta software" and download the latest emplode version (Version 2.00 beta 13) and also download the latest consumer image (Version 2.00 beta 13); making sure you download the Mark 2 version if you have a Mark 2 you'll use the "upgrade wizard" that came on the original cd to install this file to the empeg (make sure the serial cable is connected.

Later

later...

#131784 - 20/12/2002 20:06 Re: Can't Communicate from PC to Empeg -- Help! [Re: jimwilks]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
Follow the instructions here to connect to your player using Hyperterminal. Copy & paste the boot log from Hyperterminal into this thread and someone cleverer than me will probably give you a reliable diagnosis or further troubleshooting instructions.

#131785 - 20/12/2002 20:06 Re: Can't Communicate from PC to Empeg -- Help! [Re: Jerz]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Hold on this. While a valid thought, the fact that you are not booting all the way through is a sign of something more physical. It would not hurt anything to download the latest emplode and the latest image to your computer, but I do not think you will be able to load it properly until the disk issue is resolved.

Can you get a printout of the boot log?

#131786 - 20/12/2002 20:06 Re: Can't Communicate from PC to Empeg -- Help! [Re: pgrzelak]
jimwilks
new poster

What is the normal sequence of the bootup?

I have been all through the FAQ and see no mention of what to expect.

#131787 - 20/12/2002 20:09 Re: Can't Communicate from PC to Empeg -- Help! [Re: jimwilks]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Basically, you should see the (animated) logo come up, and they you would see a smaller logo screen with empeg car, the version of the software and the player "name". It would also show you the boot steps as they occur (example: Loading playlist database...).

Maybe Steve's Movies would help... It has been a while since I have seen them, but it might show a boot sequence.

Tony - is there a way that an animated GIF or a movie file of a standard boot sequence could be added to the FAQ?

The fact that you are stuck on the first screen really shows a disk issue. Because the software revision is not showing the error, it is likely that a bootlog would prove that it is not finding a hard drive. Most likely, if you just got the player, the hard drive cable came loose. An easy fix, if you are willing to open the unit.

Edited by pgrzelak (20/12/2002 20:25)

#131788 - 20/12/2002 20:53 Re: Can't Communicate from PC to Empeg -- Help! [Re: jimwilks]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Just out of interest what's the serial number?

#131789 - 20/12/2002 20:56 Re: Can't Communicate from PC to Empeg -- Help! [Re: pgrzelak]
jimwilks
new poster

OK, I did the deed. Cracked open the case, broke all of the warranty will be void stickers and checked the hard drive to board ribbon cable. It looks fine -- even locked onto the drive with a bead of silicone sealant. Put it all back together and now IT WORKS.

The Engineer in me always wants to know why? All I can tell myself is that maybe we had a loose connection in the ribbon or connector. Hopefully this problem will not show itself in later use!

Anyway, thanks to all who responded so promptly!

Jim

#131790 - 20/12/2002 20:58 Re: Can't Communicate from PC to Empeg -- Help! [Re: muzza]
jimwilks
new poster

#131791 - 20/12/2002 21:10 Re: Can't Communicate from PC to Empeg -- Help! [Re: jimwilks]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The Engineer in me always wants to know why? All I can tell myself is that maybe we had a loose connection in the ribbon or connector. Hopefully this problem will not show itself in later use!

If it happened once, it will likely happen again. Click here for a list of possible causes for the problem. The two most likely possibilities, based on your description, are: Bad cable, or dry solder joints.