Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#149006 - 17/03/2003 17:34 car stereo subwoofer speaker recommend
fusto
addict

Loc: Lummi Island, WA
So as I stated in another post, I'm installing my empeg in my Jeep in a Tuffy console. The console I ordered also has a compartment in it for a subwoofer. It can accomodate a 6.5 inch speaker in a seperate enclosure. I guess much like the 2001? plus wranglers that have an OEM subwoofer in the console.

6.5 inches is not much of a speaker, but its better than nothing.
In looking at speakers at crutchfield.com I realized I have no friggin clue what I'm looking at. I dont know ohm's, watts, hz, RMS... I just need some bass. (Jeeps dont have any)
In a nutshell I need one 6.5 inch speaker for bass only. Crutchfield listed three 6.75 inch Rockford Fosgate speakers in their subwoofer speaker category. Nothing smaller.
Anybody out there have any ideas?

My intention was also to just wire it into the left rear speaker. I know this is a hack and theres probably a better way, but I'm a bit ignorant. So any help with that would be great as well.
I'll also be using a Kenwood KAC-648S 4 channel amp. If that helps any. Its a year or two old, but its free...

How pathetic is that? Probably should have my empeg taken away...

#149007 - 17/03/2003 19:42 Re: car stereo subwoofer speaker recommend [Re: fusto]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
My intention was also to just wire it into the left rear speaker

I wouldn't do that if I where you. I assume you have the overhead soundbar in your jeep right? Those speakers are so close to your ears that you don't want the amp gains very far up or you will blow your ear drums out and with the gains down you won't have enough power to drive the sub. If you really don't want to invest in another amp you might be able to get away with splitting the front outputs to all four speakers and then bridging the rears to drive the sub.

Anyway, as far as the sub goes I would try the JLAudio. I am pretty happy with the two JL 8's I have in the back of my jeep.

-Mike

#149008 - 17/03/2003 20:31 Re: car stereo subwoofer speaker recommend [Re: mcomb]
imlikinthebass
stranger

if you can only fit a 6.5 you could go with a digital designs W6.5 or and adire audio Koda 6. but i doubt you get enough bass out of a 6.5". if you could squeeze in an 8" or 2 i would definaley recomend Resonant Engineering RE 8's which are only $49 a piece and are pretty potent.

http://www.adireaudio.com/mobile_audio/drivers/koda_6.htm
http://www.ddaudio.com/caraudio/woofers.asp?series=W6.5
http://respl.com/8.html (prise shown is msrp, real price is $49)

#149009 - 17/03/2003 22:46 Re: car stereo subwoofer speaker recommend [Re: fusto]
olfajarley
stranger

Loc: Silverdale WA USA
Mcomb is right if you want a nice little sub enclosure i would recommend checking these guys out http://www.sasbazooka.com/

they have powered enclosers and non powered enclosers to fit all your needs i have 2 of the 8" tubes and they are pretty sweet for the price and they are easy to take in and out (for those off road trips)

hope this helps

shawn

#149010 - 18/03/2003 07:40 Re: car stereo subwoofer speaker recommend [Re: fusto]
csf

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I've got a 2001 Wrangler (60th Anniversary) which came with the OEM sub. It's nice for the stock system but you would destroy the paper cone woofer with any decent amp.

I talked to a local car stereo place and they suggested replacing it with either the JL Audio 6" sub or modifying the internal sub box to fit an 8" woofer. I went the 8" woofer route and installed a used Kicker solobaric 8. The problem is that you can't find the round solobarics anymore, I got mine on ebay. Other speakers will certainly fit the bill but the enclosure size is small, only 0.3 cubic feet.

Check around the internet for other options for the jeep to see what other people have done. Some people have put free-air 10" subs in the center console but you need a big amp to drive them and keep them under control.