Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#248049 - 30/01/2005 13:00 Mk2 Handles
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
If anyone is considering taking on a project in similar fashion to robricc (sleds), Firefox (buttons) and Webroach (front panels), I would like to suggest replica handles in the original pattern.

Although I still have a reasonable amount of remaining stock, it is decreasing steadily as people break them. People are continuing to break them in the same way - wrench on the handle as hard as you can when the unit sticks in the sled (yeah, right) without investigating what the problem is first. As a piece of general advice - if it comes to a choice between risking a broken handle pulling out a jammed unit, or having to dismantle the entire dashboard to release the sled and unit, Dismantle the Dash.

Although a great deal of other unit casing material (cases, lids, sleds, front panels, buttons, hinges, springs, screws) is here in stock in sufficient quantity, this one is not. It is the most difficult one to reproduce, and although panels, buttons and sleds are underway, there is no directed effort for the handles. I know Webroach is producing them, but it is as a limited by-product of the panel effort, and is likely to be difficult (and costly) to deliver handles separately from the panel.

I would say that at the current rate of consumption, it is likely that original handles will disappear by the end of this year (2005) at the latest.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#248050 - 30/01/2005 14:21 Re: Mk2 Handles [Re: schofiel]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
... sound of everyone rushing to email "broken handle" sob stories to Rob now commences..

Perhaps photo evidence might be a prerequisite for a handle "parts" order.. ?

Cheers

#248051 - 30/01/2005 15:53 Re: Mk2 Handles [Re: schofiel]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
On a side note, does anyone have a fix for the handle "rattle" ?

#248052 - 30/01/2005 16:57 Re: Mk2 Handles [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

New springs.

#248053 - 30/01/2005 17:23 Re: Mk2 Handles [Re: schofiel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Or mod the mounting position of the old springs.

#248054 - 30/01/2005 17:39 Re: Mk2 Handles [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

To be honest, I have always found that simply tightening the main hinge screw slightly on both sides sorts this out by making it pivot a little more stiffly. The screws themselves gradually tend to unscrew themselves over time.

Be aware that the bottom two screws on each side loosen at the same rate as the main one, so if you discover that the top hinge screws are already loose, do them all up at the same time, or locktight the lot of them (blue/non-permanent loctite). You will need jeweller's screwdrivers, size 0 and 1. Don't use the size 1 on the bottom screws (which are smaller) as you will damage them.

If all the lower screws come out, then the handle is no longer supported correctly and will twist unevenly around the pivots. This will cause the handle to break, eventually.

#248055 - 30/01/2005 18:51 Re: Mk2 Handles [Re: schofiel]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
I know Webroach is producing them, but it is as a limited by-product of the panel effort, and is likely to be difficult (and costly) to deliver handles separately from the panel.

Very true Rob. Also of note is that the handles we are producing, while appearing to be perfectly compatible with the stock fascia, would not look right at all.

Once we're up and running smoothly with the fascia / handle kits, if nobody else is doing anything with handles, Brandon and I can take a look at it again and see if we can figure out a cost effective way to produce them seperately. The biggest problem facing us (we wanted to be able to offer them alone from the start) is the geometry; it makes it difficult (in the extreme) to "nest" and cut out without a lot of wasted stock. Maybe we can look into casting...

But by all means, if anyone else would be interested in taking this on, go for it. And if we can be of any help, let us know.

#248056 - 30/01/2005 20:43 Re: Mk2 Handles [Re: webroach]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
I can mention it to the casters and machine shops that I've been speaking too. Should be simple to plaster cast. But I wonder if the metal buttons are machined, maybe they could fill the space within the U-shape of the handle, thus reducing waste. 10 buttons in the space of one handle U-shape might be a good use of metal.

[Edit: added]
Or, a long U-shaped metal extrusion could be created. It could be sliced into many handle shapes, each milled to perfection. I'll also run this idea by the metal shops.

I just need a CAD file for the handle. My trusty plastic grade school ruler might be a little less than accurate to create the CAD by hand.

Edited by FireFox31 (30/01/2005 21:33)

#248057 - 30/01/2005 21:20 Re: Mk2 Handles [Re: FireFox31]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
But I wonder if the metal buttons are machined, maybe they could fill the space within the U-shape of the handle, thus reducing waste. 10 buttons in the space of one handle U-shape might be a good use of metal.

I knew there was another reason (in the already long list) why we all look up to you.

Damn fine idea. I never even thought of doing that.

Quote:
I just need a CAD file for the handle. My trusty plastic grade school ruler might be a little less than accurate to create the CAD by hand.

True, the plastic ruler is probably not the way to go. The new fascias were measured / designed with the help of digital calipers, and it was still a pain in the ass. I don't know if there's any way to get that CAD file, but if so, it will be much quicker. It will take me a while to get around to measuring the stock handle completely. But, as I said, I will if nobody else does first.

#248058 - 30/01/2005 22:26 Re: Mk2 Handles [Re: webroach]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
If someone at Rio can be bothered to dig out the archive of my former home directory, they can find the appropriate CAD in ~rob\empeg\Projects\Rio Car\Fascia (or somewhere nearby). I heard my files are now archived offline which is sad, as that's a big chunk of empeg's legacy. GPL the lot of it I say!

The Mk.2 handles were cast using a lost wax process. If anyone is thinking of doing this again I strongly recommend against doing so - it was an utter nightmare! Machining would surely be the best option for a small run (but it's not the easiest part to machine - much easier to do in three pieces like the Mk.1).

Rob

#248059 - 31/01/2005 08:27 Re: Mk2 Handles [Re: rob]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
If someone at Rio can be bothered to dig out the archive of my former home directory, they can find the appropriate CAD in ~rob\empeg\Projects\Rio Car\Fascia

It's not in CVS?

Peter

#248060 - 31/01/2005 20:33 Re: Mk2 Handles [Re: peter]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Quote:
It's not in CVS?

Maybe, but I didn't generally check in production related binaries in those days. May well be in Agile though.

Rob

#248061 - 05/02/2005 04:31 Re: Mk2 Handles [Re: webroach]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
I think you are going to find that the least expensive option is to just waste the stock.

#248062 - 06/02/2005 18:08 Re: Mk2 Handles [Re: rob]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Not in CVS (the mk1 drawings are though ). I'll see what I can find, Mike's probably got the offline stuff burned to a DVD or something, it doesn't appear to be online on the servers.

Hugo

#248063 - 06/02/2005 19:34 Re: Mk2 Handles [Re: schofiel]
newguy1
enthusiast

Loc: Massachusetts,USA
I have a shop looking at making the handles(again).
A couple ideas were brought up.
To save some cost they could eliminate the machining in the handle for the 2 plates on either side with the "hooks" that hold the player into the sled.
It would still rotate and pull the unit out but it wouldn't lock the player in.
This doesn't appear to be a problem on my player as it feels secure enough without it.(I've tested it for a week and it hasn't come out,the docking plug seems to hold in in nicely)
If needed a piece of velcro could be added to the back of player and inside of sled(if enough clearance) to hold it in.
The other issue is that there would be no more spring to keep the handle from moving or vibrating.Perhaps a small piece of velcro here would work also.
So would people prefer to have the exact handle or a somewhat modified handle to save on costs.

#248064 - 08/02/2005 04:49 Re: Mk2 Handles [Re: newguy1]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
So would people prefer to have the exact handle or a somewhat modified handle to save on costs.

Personally, I'd want the exact handle. My empeg comes out fairly easily when not "locked" in, and, unless there's some un-repairable breakage, I don't fancy having my empeg gobbed up with velcro appendages.

#248065 - 08/02/2005 08:00 Re: Mk2 Handles [Re: newguy1]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Don't forget that the hinge piece carries two holes for two extra screws on each side for re-inforcement. I have no idea about how just a "single screw" version would affect the case ear for the hinge: I would suspect that you would be driven nuts by the handle rattling without the springs.

Maybe if you offered both options (with/without) you could let people choose?

#248066 - 08/02/2005 18:50 Re: Mk2 Handles [Re: altman]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
If anyone is going through the MKII CAD files, could you please make me a copy of the "Button Base Part.SLDPRT"? The metal button project is stalled without it.

With handle CADs, I could have these made. Without the CADs, it'll just take me more time, but I'll still try.

#248067 - 10/02/2005 15:24 Re: Mk2 Handles [Re: FireFox31]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
You have PM.
-Zeke

#248068 - 10/02/2005 15:43 Re: Mk2 Handles [Re: Ezekiel]
belezeebub
addict

If you remember I made a replacment handle when I re-did the face but we just didn't get enough instrest to cover the run cost. I am sure someone can post the link to the photos I posted,

I never broke a handle but I could see how they could break.
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/