Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#281787 - 22/05/2006 11:04 This AM: Tuner no audio.... Help???
jbrinkerhoff

My PCATS tuner has been working great for a few months now. This am, on the way to work, for no apparent reason, the sound just "stopped".

Right in the middle of listening, silence. No seeming effect on the empeg, no errors, nothing. Empeg works fine, player mode works fine. Cant test aux.

I cranked the vol ALL the way up, and when I "scan" (long right button press) the tuner will "scan" to the next station. It seems to be tuning on somethign, because it does stop at the "real" stations in the area. But I get NO audio, and no No visuals.

When I "scan" (or seek, whatever its called) I hear the faintest of faint "clicks" as it passes each frequency. Such that if Im quiet, and its turned ALL the way up and I skip to the next station, while its "scanning" I can hear a faint "riffling a deck of cards sound".

ANY ideas? Im lost without my tuner now. I listen to my NPR and news (Empeg duty for music)...

Jeff

#281788 - 22/05/2006 15:26 Re: This AM: Tuner no audio.... Help??? [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Is there a chance that a wire came loose?

#281789 - 23/05/2006 10:49 Re: This AM: Tuner no audio.... Help??? [Re: tfabris]
jbrinkerhoff

I checked the wires at the loom plug, all look good. I fished out the aux connector as well, and plugged my Sirius into it. AUX works fine. So its the tuner... Next I rip out the whole mess, bring it in the house and test from the AC power supply....

Any advice on how to troubleshoot the tuner is most appreciated! I guess check the power line, LED etc first. After that Im clueless...

Jeff

#281790 - 23/05/2006 11:05 Re: This AM: Tuner no audio.... Help??? [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
. I fished out the aux connector as well, and plugged my Sirius into it. AUX works fine. So its the tuner

Sorry, but I don't get the same conclusion from "No sound from radio, but Aux-in works".

It could still be a wiring connection between the tuner and the player. Best way to check it is to find a mate with an Empeg, and try your Tuner on her gear.

Cheers

#281791 - 23/05/2006 11:53 Re: This AM: Tuner no audio.... Help??? [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
It could still be a wiring connection between the tuner and the player.

I'm sure he looked carefully at all the wires in the loom externally, but it wouldn't surprise me if he found a wire broken off *inside* the casing of the tuner module itself.

#281792 - 24/05/2006 17:14 Re: This AM: Tuner no audio.... Help??? [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
The audio from the radio does not feed in through AUX, it is a seperate source. I would also check out all the wiring relating to the tuner part of the harness, and in the box. I will put money on it that Tony is right - and no stress relief cable tie was applied inside the case of the tuner.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#281793 - 05/12/2006 18:31 Re: This AM: Tuner no audio.... Help??? [Re: schofiel]
jbrinkerhoff

Just a reply for anyone searching this thread someday. The problem was this:

When I assembled my tuner I was in the final stages of testing, and was SOO happy it was working (on the bench) that I slapped the cover on and installed it straight away. But... I forgot to put the SCREWS in the top circuit board that hold it to the standoffs. Eventually it worked loose (enough) that the tuner would no longer tune.

So, moral of story, if there are parts left over....

#281794 - 05/12/2006 19:35 Re: This AM: Tuner no audio.... Help??? [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Excellent. Glad you found it.