Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#46468 - 14/11/2001 09:41 Emplode v2.00-beta3
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK
Emplode v2.00-beta3 seems to handle playlists differently from v1.03.

In the old version you could drag and drop an Artist into a playlist and it would retain the album info and put each album from that artist in a separate "directory". The new version seems to just put them in one big playlist.

Also, with the new software, unless a song is in a playlist, you can't get to it - there is on "All" - or am I missing something?

#46469 - 14/11/2001 10:16 Re: Emplode v2.00-beta3 [Re: furtive]
Roger
carpal tunnel

No it wouldn't, unless I'm not reading this right. If you drop a folder from Windows Explorer onto a playlist, it should create a playlist heirarchy the same as your directory heirarchy. If this is broken, shout.

At no point did it automatically create playlists based on the tags within those files.

If you're talking about dragging a folder from the Artists tree onto a playlist, it's broken. It really ought to create a complete heirarchy, but it doesn't. However, this feature wasn't in v1.03, so I'm confused about what you're referring to.

Also, if a tune isn't in a playlist, you can get to it (in emplode) in the automatic Artists/Albums/etc. trees. At the bottom is the "All Tracks" item.

On the player, you have to use the search button. We're going to implement the other views at some point after v2.0 is released.

#46470 - 14/11/2001 10:26 Re: Emplode v2.00-beta3 [Re: Roger]
furtive
old hand

> However, this feature wasn't in v1.03, so I'm confused about what you're referring to.

Was it in v1.02? I'm sure I used to do this.

Can I get to a tune that isn't in my playlist via the empeg? I.e. can I make it play everything without using Search?

#46471 - 14/11/2001 11:11 Re: Emplode v2.00-beta3 [Re: furtive]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
You probably dragged an artist from *your own* artist tree, which on 1.03 was just a playlist; if you drag stuff from the "magic" artists/album/etc trees in v2.00, this won't work.

You'll still have your manually-created trees under the playlists root though, and dragging/dropping artist/album hierarchies from there should work as it always did.

Hugo

#46472 - 15/11/2001 02:33 Re: Emplode v2.00-beta3 [Re: altman]
furtive
old hand

Hmm. But any new music I add won't have the proper tree stucture without me creating it manually - is that what you are saying?

#46473 - 15/11/2001 10:57 Re: Emplode v2.00-beta3 [Re: furtive]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
But any new music I add won't have the proper tree stucture without me creating it manually - is that what you are saying?

Something like that.

The current player software doesn't have any way of selecting artists and albums from the Soup views from the front panel. You can only select playlists.

So if you drop a track into a Soup view, it's not going to show up on your playlists menu unless you specifically create a playlist and put it in that playlist.

BUT...

If you drag a windows folder of tracks and drop it onto the playlists view in Emplode, it will automatically create a playlist that's the same name as the folder you dropped.

It seems that your confusion is merely with your drop destination. If you drop onto the playlists views, it works as it always did. If you drop onto Soup views, it behaves differently.

#46474 - 16/11/2001 11:47 Re: Emplode v2.00-beta3 [Re: tfabris]
furtive
old hand

Ah yes. Works fine if I to it properly. Thanks.

#46475 - 22/11/2001 17:52 Re: Emplode v2.00-beta3 [Re: furtive]
dewdman42

I haven't installed 2.0 yet, but I would have to say that I would be a little bummed by this as well.. If I put all my music into the Soups view (is that what's called?)...and from the sounds of it its designed to organize all my music by artist/album, which up until now is exactly what I've been doing with playlists anyway... But if there is a built in facility to organize that way...I would really like to use it...

However...I know there are specific times when I want to then later build some playlists of favorite albums. Before I thought I could just copy a folder from one playlist to another and have that entire album in its own subfolder in the destination playlist... Are you saying that if I use the built in Soups feature to organize by artist/album, then I can't do that? If so......consider this a feature request...

#46476 - 22/11/2001 21:24 Re: Emplode v2.00-beta3 [Re: dewdman42]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
As Tony said, if you drop a folder of songs from Explorer into the PLAYLISTS in Emplode, You will automatically create a playlist with the same structure in the PLAYLISTS.
If you drag a folder into any of the soup views in Emplode all of the directory structure is forgotten and only the songs are imported.
You can have songs on the player that dont appear in a playlist but you must use the search functions to select it.
In emplode you could create playlists of artists from listings in soup view, but you need to create the 'playlist container/folder' manually.

There is nothing stopping you from dumping everything into the soups view and only having a few select playlists. But remember that the soup views are only construced by the tags of the files. however once the track is imported the tags are written into a database and the tags themselves are not used again. I'm sure there's a FAQ on this!

If you had no playlists defined, you could only access your tracks from searches on the player. Playlists just add another method of accessing favourites.

#46477 - 22/11/2001 21:57 Re: Emplode v2.00-beta3 [Re: muzza]
dewdman42

What is the purpose of the Soups view?

#46478 - 23/11/2001 00:18 Re: Emplode v2.00-beta3 [Re: dewdman42]
drakino
carpal tunnel

What is the purpose of the Soups view?

Most likely other future products that empeg is working on. I personally don't remember if anyone here from empeg has said that soup views are going to make their way to the empeg-car. So for now, all soup views do is allow you to see music in those categories to manage them.

#46479 - 23/11/2001 00:22 Re: Emplode v2.00-beta3 [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The purpose of the Soup views is to relieve you of the need to create your own artist/album playlists.

The empeg guys said that they will definitely be giving us a way to select soup items from the main menu, it's just not in 2.0b3 at the moment. So for now you still need to create playlists as you always did. At some point in the future, you won't need your artist/album playlists any more.