Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#168212 - 28/06/2003 17:26 Hijack's left/right timeshift alignment -- how to?
ProtonVehiCROSS
new poster

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hijack has a left/right timeshift setting. It is set in cm or milliseconds. I am not exactly sure how to properly configure this. Is the distance supposed to be the offset from the driver's ear to dead-center or do I need to triangulate my listening position or...? Also, it's not clear to me which side you're delaying. For example, if I set the shift to the right for ~67 cm / 2.0 ms, does that mean the right speakers transmit their audio 2.0 ms sooner than the left speakers? Any light shed on this subject would be appreciated. I think the purpose of this feature -- in the case of left-hand (U.S.) driving cars for example -- is to "slow down" the sound from the left side so that it reaches your ears at the same time as the farther-away sound from the right side. Thanks.
ProtonVehiCROSS
[/yellow]

#168213 - 28/06/2003 21:19 Re: Hijack's left/right timeshift alignment -- how to? [Re: ProtonVehiCROSS]
SStan
new poster

I'd say the best way to think of it is this: the "left" or "right" measurement is how far to the left or right of center the steroscopic sweet spot is. Roughly speaking, if your head is 20 cm to the left of the centerline of your car, the best results will be around 0.6 msec left.

I think the best way to tune this setting is to sit in the car with music playing, close your eyes and try to hear where the center of the music is... when it is in your head, bingo!

Hope that helps.