Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#171408 - 19/07/2003 13:49 My car was broken into, guess what they didn't get
Caps
stranger

Loc: Arizona, USA
On Thursday morning I was walking to my car, with my eMpeg in hand, and noticed I had a broken window. I knew what they were looking for, even though they wouldn't of be able to do anything with it without the sled. The best part is what was in the car at the time. There was nothing, absolutely nothing. I had even removed the spare tire. I was going to install some soundproofing materials this week-end, and was getting a head start. They may have been able to get my amp, but I used both hex screws and bolts to attach it under a seat which would have to be removed. Not easy.

For the year I've had the eMpeg, it is always either in the car with me, or in a fireproof safe (Sentry 1100) with added foam. I always keep it in my apartment(flat, for the british folk). My friends think I'm strange when I bring this 17lbs case around with me, but I still have my eMpeg.

Now I just need to get this window replaced. It is becoming a security concern because anybody can break into the car and take it a lot easier. So, now I disconnect the negative battery cable when I park it for long periods of time.

I need to print up that picture that I found on this board. It said "You are not smart enough to operate the audio player in this car". I think I will put that on my safe, along with some hand-cuffs attached to my wrist (ok, I might not go that far yet). I will protect it as much as the case in the movie 'Ronin'.

Nobody is getting my eMpeg.

#171409 - 19/07/2003 14:02 Re: My car was broken into, guess what they didn't get [Re: Caps]
DeadFire
addict

See, now, this is the kind of thread I'd rather be reading. Everyone remembers the wave of stolen empegs we have had.

In the event that a nasty thing like this happens to you, think about how relieved you'll feel knowing they didn't walk off with the (almost) irreplaceable item. I have had a car broken into before, and although everything was easily replaceable, it would not have been cheap.

I never leave my empeg behind.

#171410 - 19/07/2003 15:19 Re: My car was broken into, guess what they didn't [Re: Caps]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
On Thursday morning I was walking to my car, with my eMpeg in hand, and noticed I had a broken window. I knew what they were looking for, even though they wouldn't of be able to do anything with it without the sled.

How would they know to expect to find it in your car, and not also know you don't leave it in your car?

Just curious.

#171411 - 19/07/2003 16:54 Re: My car was broken into, guess what they didn't [Re: Daria]
DeadFire
addict

Well you can't be sure, unless by some odd chance you knew the thief. But most times anyone breaking into a car is looking for a quick buck. The resourceful ones will have tools in order to pry a head unit out of the dash. The rest won't think twice about smashing your window just to see if something might be under the seat.

When something like this happens to you, you become suspicious, and very analytical. For example, when my previous car was broken into almost 2 years ago, I was convinced that the thief was on foot, and possibly lived or had friends that lived nearby. I was home and awake at the time, and no vehicles passed by my house between the time I parked my car and the time I found it with the window smashed.

#171412 - 21/07/2003 03:56 Re: My car was broken into, guess what they didn't [Re: Daria]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
How would they know to expect to find it in your car

Precisely why I would never put an Empeg sticker on my car: You might get a knowledgeable thief, or for that matter, a curious one, who wants to see what the sticker means.

Not that I ever leave my Empeg in the car, of course.

#171413 - 21/07/2003 23:35 Re: My car was broken into, guess what they didn't [Re: boxer]
Elon
new poster

Earlier this year my 60 gig empeg and sled were stolen. They ripped out my entire dash. Luckily, I had enough spare empeg parts to build a 40 gig, but no sled. I've finally been able to pull together enough funds to get the sled from Rob and it's scheduled to come in tomorrow. All in all, I guess it worked out in the end, but the past five months I have been music-deprived. I can't wait to get this going again. I only hope that the thieves can't figure out how to use it. I'm hoping they are trying to figure out how to insert a cd.

E

#171414 - 23/07/2003 13:25 Re: My car was broken into, guess what they didn't [Re: Elon]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
In reply to:

Luckily, I had enough spare empeg parts to build a 40 gig...

You are my hero! Who said these are not in production anymore? Just sell the parts with a sticker: Some assembly required