Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#198734 - 15/01/2004 12:28 Broken Empeg RCA/Phono socket
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Anybody care to help me out, in the UK?
The right phono/RCA socket of my Empeg sheared off this morning, I didn't think it would be a problem, as I pretty much only use it in the car sled or Mark's excellent dock, but I didn't realise that with it broken, the right channel would go dead.

Opening up and fixing an Empeg is well past my abilities, I'll travel pretty much anywhere in the UK for somebody who is competent/confident to fix it, it doesn't look like a difficult job.
Remuneration and undying adulation go without saying!

#198735 - 17/01/2004 04:04 Re: Broken Empeg RCA/Phono socket [Re: boxer]
boxer
pooh-bah

Panic over, I subsequently discovered that it’s not as bad as I first thought, when I put it in Mark’s docking station, it only works in the left hand channel, which must be the way it’s wired. When I put it in the car it works fine.

I only use the phonos on the odd day that it snows, when I borrow Mrs.Boxer’s 4 wheel drive (Which is when I broke it) and on the odd occasion that I want to listen on headphones in the motorhome.: I’ve discovered that a piece of selotape to hold the plug in place works for those occasions.

So I've e-mailed Rob to fit it in to support sometime, not urgently, when it's up and running. I knew it was asking a lot to expect somebody to take responsibility for opening it up and repairing it, so I'm not surprised not to have a volunteer.

In the meantime, can anybody suggest a temp. fix for working it in Mark's docking station?

#198736 - 17/01/2004 05:04 Re: Broken Empeg RCA/Phono socket [Re: boxer]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Um, going from memory, Marks Dock's are wired the same as the Car Sleds (in requards to audio output) so it seems strange that it works in the car and not in the Dock.

Is it possible that pressure of some kind is causing a short on that channel when it's in the Dock ??? If thats is the case, I wouldn't be keen on using it at all, just incase some of the electronics burns out which could be a much bigger problem than just replacing a broken connector.

If it's just the connector that is broken I'm sure its something we could solder back on between ourselves

Cheers

Cris.

#198737 - 17/01/2004 12:33 Re: Broken Empeg RCA/Phono socket [Re: Cris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
going from memory, Marks Dock's are wired the same as the Car Sleds (in requards to audio output) so it seems strange that it works in the car and not in the Dock.
This is not strange at all. Let me splain.

The home outputs are physically tied to one pair of the car outputs. I don't recall if it's the front or the rear, I think it's the front. Let's assume for the sake of this discussion that it's the front.

So if Mark's docks were wired to the front car outputs, then failed home outputs would also fail on Mark's dock. And if Boxer's car were wired to only the rear outputs, then his car would continue to work fine.

See?

#198738 - 17/01/2004 12:50 Re: Broken Empeg RCA/Phono socket [Re: tfabris]
boxer
pooh-bah

The answer is much simpler, how coincidental can it be that the right hand channel of my amp (It's older than my daughter and she's 21 this year) fails the same day as I snap the phono/RCA on my Empeg! It was only this evening when I put Winamp on whilst I was doing some work on the PC that I realised that I had the same fault.
So the only problem I have is occasional use of the phono sockets. I'll be back to you Cris, but don't volunteer unless you're completely confident - I presume that the phono socket is a bog standard PC mount phono socket?
- and thanks for your usual impeccable attention to the problem Tony.

#198739 - 17/01/2004 13:55 Re: Broken Empeg RCA/Phono socket [Re: boxer]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Let me know if you want a hand godfrey, i quite fancy another trip across the pennines. We could have a north of england empeg mini meet.

Andy M

#198740 - 18/01/2004 11:17 Re: Broken Empeg RCA/Phono socket [Re: boxer]
Cris
pooh-bah

I'm no pro with a soldering iron, but I have done a fair bit in my time (nothing tricky like surface mount, just bog standard components into a board), it doesn't stop us from having a look.

I had a quick look at mine just now, it looks like a standard part to me, farnell's will probably sell em.

I'm up for a mini-meet

Cheers

Cris.

#198741 - 18/01/2004 13:52 Re: Broken Empeg RCA/Phono socket [Re: Cris]
andym
carpal tunnel

It looks like there's a suitable replacement at CPC, it'll cost the grand sum of 40p.... plus a couple of quid P&P!

I've done SMT at work, plus I did my button light kit. When do you guys fancy getting together? Anyone else care to join in?

Andy M

#198742 - 18/01/2004 14:00 Re: Broken Empeg RCA/Phono socket [Re: andym]
Cris
pooh-bah

If we can find that part at Farnell's we might be able to go pick it up from the trade counter at Leeds and save the postage (God I'm turning into a Yorkshireman !!!)

I'm free most nights or weekends, the only weekend I can't do is the 31st as I'm in London (hopefully on another mini-meet) There are plenty of nice country pubs near where boxer lives, and Mrs boxer makes a fine cup of tea too

Cheers

Cris.

#198743 - 18/01/2004 14:18 Re: Broken Empeg RCA/Phono socket [Re: Cris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Sounds cool, I doubt i'll be able to get down to london if it's at the weekend, unless there's an emergency at work. But then again if it was an emergency I doubt i'd be able to make it pub anyway

Andy M

#198744 - 19/01/2004 07:01 Re: Broken Empeg RCA/Phono socket [Re: andym]
boxer
pooh-bah

This sounds great to me, Mrs.Boxer and I would be happy to host, and, not that I'm promising, but she loves an excuse to do a decent size roast, it's not worth it for the two/three of us.

We're only three miles from the A1/M1 link, outside Wetherby. The nearest half decent pub is thirty yards and serves a very decent Wm.Youngers No.3. most of the time.

Plenty of countryside to walk it off after, plenty of sofas to sleep it off after!

Sunday's best for me, but I could do saturday. I won't do a formal poll, but any other Empeggers that are interested, either post here or PM, and we'll come up with a date.

#198745 - 19/01/2004 07:13 Re: Broken Empeg RCA/Phono socket [Re: andym]
boxer
pooh-bah

Oi! It's £1.04 at Farnells, but it's one of my clients, just round the corner and I have an account!
Something odd here, they're only 79p at Maplins - and I pass them on the way home.

Edited by boxer (19/01/2004 09:09)

#198746 - 20/01/2004 04:44 Re: Broken Empeg RCA/Phono socket [Re: boxer]
boxer
pooh-bah

Oi! It's £1.04 at Farnells

I see it all now, the one I clicked on, on the Farnell site, is gold plated: I love my Empeg dearly, but I'm not buying it jewellery!

#198747 - 20/01/2004 06:03 Re: Broken Empeg RCA/Phono socket [Re: boxer]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I see it all now, the one I clicked on, on the Farnell site, is gold plated: I love my Empeg dearly, but I'm not buying it jewellery!

Hahahahaha!

Perhaps it is because the coffee has not kicked in yet, but I found this extremely funny. Thanks!