Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#308626 - 27/03/2008 14:32 I think I have a new tuner problem, but my search mojo sucks...
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
The tuner fades to static after 10 minutes. Luckily it only it only takes me 9 minutes to get to work. I just starting noticing it this week. Its like it cant continue to lock on the channel.

The signal strength is still strong, but goes from clear to complete static by 10 minutes 45 seconds. Once the car has been off for an hour or more it works again (for 10 minutes). Mp3 always sound fine, and my 2nd player in the same dock has the same symptoms.

Anyone know a solution to this old tuner issue, other than find a new tuner? Thanks.

#308632 - 27/03/2008 16:19 Re: I think I have a new tuner problem, but my search mojo sucks... [Re: morrisdl]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: morrisdl
The tuner fades to static after 10 minutes. Luckily it only it only takes me 9 minutes to get to work. I just starting noticing it this week. Its like it cant continue to lock on the channel.

The signal strength is still strong, but goes from clear to complete static by 10 minutes 45 seconds. Once the car has been off for an hour or more it works again (for 10 minutes). Mp3 always sound fine, and my 2nd player in the same dock has the same symptoms.

Anyone know a solution to this old tuner issue, other than find a new tuner? Thanks.

Something is dying (heat sensitive, I think) inside the sealed RF module that is the guts of the tuner.

Replacing the RF module usually solves the problem -- Patrick has spare RF modules, though they are a bit pricey. Stu (and I) can swap them in the tuner.

Nobody has yet figured out the exact part that is dying, though the primary suspect is a surface-mounted op-amp inside the RF module.

Cheers

#308636 - 27/03/2008 17:53 Re: I think I have a new tuner problem, but my search mojo sucks... [Re: mlord]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
Thanks Mark. Ill contact Patrick and see about getting one.

BTW - I see the link for "tuners" in the header here is "protected"