Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#325347 - 20/08/2009 21:28 emulate a "usb mass storage" device?
ajayrockrock
journeyman

Loc: Riverside, CA
Hi, I recently bout a 2010 Prius which means that my empeg is now sitting on the shelf. There's an AUX-IN port for the prius which means that I can still use my empeg if I can find a place to mount it.

But they also have a "ipod" connection kit which will replace the AUX-IN with a USB port that you can connect an ipod to. You can also plug in a USB hard drive to the port and then you can then navigate the drive contents (and play music) through the main head unit.

My question, how hard would it be to get the empeg to emulate a USB Mass Storage Device using something like:

http://www.linux-usb.org/gadget/

#325349 - 20/08/2009 21:52 Re: emulate a "usb mass storage" device? [Re: ajayrockrock]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Why bother? Just get a USB hard drive.

I mean, it's not like you're going to get any of the empeg's benefits that way.

Edited by wfaulk (20/08/2009 21:53)

#325354 - 21/08/2009 00:41 Re: emulate a "usb mass storage" device? [Re: ajayrockrock]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I'd get a display extender if I were you.

Check out some nice stuff here.

#325368 - 21/08/2009 16:57 Re: emulate a "usb mass storage" device? [Re: JBjorgen]
ajayrockrock
journeyman

Loc: Riverside, CA
yeah, I forgot to mention that it was kind of a silly request. smile

getting a usb enclosure would be the easiest thing.

#325370 - 21/08/2009 18:19 Re: emulate a "usb mass storage" device? [Re: ajayrockrock]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
One of the things people requested of the Empeg "back in the day" was for it to emulate a USB mass storage device for the purposes of managing the music collection. That would have been too costly in terms of development time, its database architecture doesn't really support that. Plus, the USB cable was much slower than the ethernet cable anyway.

I can see how a read-only implementation of this could be fun and useful, though. For instance, there are a lot of consumer devices with usb slots that claim to be able to play media from a USB mass storage device (such as a memory stick). Sure, putting your music collection on a portable hard drive makes more sense, but imagine that you still have your empeg sled installed in your car, and you've driven to a friend's house, and his TV has a USB plug on it, and you want to play him a new album. Scrounge a 12v power supply and a USB cable and you're there.

#325383 - 22/08/2009 03:22 Re: emulate a "usb mass storage" device? [Re: tfabris]
StigOE
addict

Originally Posted By: tfabris
...imagine that you still have your empeg sled installed in your car, and you've driven to a friend's house, and his TV has a USB plug on it, and you want to play him a new album. Scrounge a 12v power supply and a USB cable and you're there.

Or do like me, keep a power supply and a phono cable in the glove compartment.