Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#10543 - 03/07/2000 15:22 What i miss/don't like in 11a-11c
Nils

Loc: Germany
Hi !
Just a collection of things i like to have implemented/fixed in the current kernels 11a-11c which seem to be pretty much the same from the player/user side.

This is very subjective and others may disagree 100% or agree 100% please give me your comments, and if empeg people read this, please give me your opinion about it ...

-1- Loudness is missing
Why ?? i am missing it badly, please re-activate it ... Or am i missing something ...

-2- Switching on empeg in the car and the text info screen ...
Okay, even i can easily live with switching on my empeg in the car and pressing the down button for a few secs to get a graphical gui, but ...
It works strange ...
My current favourite is an info Line together with a Spektrokit 128.
When i switch on the empeg, it has text info full screen ( thx to the $%&§$ US and UK laws !!! ), when i press the down button for a few seconds, i have a Full screen Spektrokit 128.
Please make it that way that holding the down button activates the last screen setup, whatever info or Visualization it contained ... PLEASE

-3- still missing info mode: Fading line
That means: If you skip to the next song, or simply run into the next song, an info line is displayed for 10 seconds and then disappears to have a full screen viz ...
Not so difficult to do, yet so powerfiúl, PLEASE do it

-4- Mk2 specific: Usage of buttons and knob ...

Having the knob for Volume now, please have an option to use left and right buttons as fast forward/rewind, when you hold them ... like on most cd players.
We need this optional of course, not fixed.
Why not help everyone and have a utility in emplode to completely customize usage of buttons ?!?
( a little table: up, down, left, right, hold up, hold down, ...., knob rotate, know button. and a popup with all available functions on the other side .. VOILA )
Please speed up key update on the knob, it is too slow to use it for volume right now

-5- Text menu scrolling speedup
I could live with the menus not finescrolling left and right, but just jumping from menu point to menu point ( like my 50 different artists ), that would speed up skipping to M-People starting from Abba )
I hope you know what i am talking, otherwise feel free to ask ...

-6- Memorize current playlist in menu ...
Just imagine you play a specific album from depeche mode, now you want another album, but !!!!!!! Horror, again you start in the top level hierarchy of your playlist tree !!!!
Why not stay in the "Artists/Electro Pop/Depeche Mode/Music for the Masses" Directory ... It is *never* a problem to press "Up" 4 times to get back to the top level, but going down again requires multiple "down" and "left" and "right" keypresses ... Simple ergonomy ... PLEASE do so ...

-7- voice menus !
Before we even start to dream about voice commanding the Mk2, a long time before the empeg people talked about a voice saying "playlists" or "sound" or ... Whatever the menu is called, even using a simple "text to speech" programm to say "Fleetwood Mac" or whatever artist/song you select --> controlling the empeg without looking at it ---> stoopid US and UK LAWS may rest even more peaceful if you implement this in a short time :-)

-8- Mk2 specific, please pump up the developer image with a telnet/ssh service, ftp and possibly Samba for *good* connectivity ...

Okay, bash me for wanting it all :-) but now i already bought 2 empegs and still some of my "easy to do and so long wished by many people" things are not built in ...

Nils

#10544 - 03/07/2000 15:47 Re: What i miss/don't like in 11a-11c [Re: Nils]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Please make it that way that holding the down button activates the last screen setup, whatever info or Visualization it contained ...

Yeah, gotta go with ya on that one. I'd take it one step further: I prefer the "Now and Next" display most of the time. If I had it on "Now and Next" last time, it should be OK to just leave it there instead of defaulting to the info screen. "Now and Next" is static text, too, and isn't distracting.

Although I've gotten pretty good at switching to "Now and Next" from the front panel. Down Right Down Right Down.

Having the knob for Volume now, please have an option to use left and right buttons as fast forward/rewind, when you hold them ... like on most cd players.

That was the plan all along. I'm surprised it wasn't in there when you got your MK2.

#10545 - 03/07/2000 16:30 Re: What i miss/don't like in 11a-11c [Re: Nils]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The Mk2 software is currently very very close to the mk1 stuff; we've been so busy with other projects (which have tighter deadlines) that a lot of the things we wanted to get in there for mk2 first ship just didn't make it.

We're working on the new features, they will come - a lot of your comments are wishlist features though. Mk2 specifics like making the volume knob work at a better speed will be in very quickly.

The developer image is unlikely to grow telnet, etc, as this adds a lot to the size of the image; we may make available a tar file which would extract over the normal image and contained extra goodies. One problem is that the DHCP client/etc is all within the player (dhcpc is *huge!*).

Hugo