Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#33502 - 28/06/2001 10:51 Esoteric Docking Connector...
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
I think I remember the thread where folks expressed interest in getting an extra docking connector to use in other boxes to dock in the Empeg sled. Hugo, I think, explained how tough they were to get outside of the normal manufacturing process and how expensive they are.

I am fabricating a box to fit in the Empeg-less sled and was thinking of putting a blinking red LED or two on the faceplate. How cool it would be to have them automagically powered through a docking connector. So, if it ever looks like there's an opportunity to get a few black-market connectors, I'll take one.

Side note: from Crutchfield I obtained a few 12" x 12" sheets of black plastic that is lightly "pebbled" on one side and scored in a rectangular pattern on the other side (also scored with some common speaker cut-out sizes) that they sell for speaker trin rings and such. I've been cutting the box bits from these sheets with a jeweler's saw and then sanding for final dimensions. A little Crazy Glue, and I should have a box (then I'm going to see if I can fit a faux sled (made out of the same stuff) under the passenger seat to hold this little box while the Empeg is in play.

Anyhow, I'm building the dummy box the same depth as the Empeg so that a connector could be fitted if I ever got lucky!

Jim

Edited by jimhogan on 28/06/01 06:53 PM.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#33503 - 28/06/2001 11:21 Re: Esoteric Docking Connector... [Re: jimhogan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I recommend NOT putting any blinking lights on it. Blank black is your best bet for anti-theft.

#33504 - 30/06/2001 07:03 Re: Esoteric Docking Connector... [Re: tfabris]
srhodes
enthusiast

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
For anti-theft purposes, surely it would be best to make it look like a hole with some wires hanging out of it so that the casual observer would think that someone had been there before them and so not bother.

Or, even, get the front off an old really naff radio and slot that into place. If you were really good you could turn this into a front panel on a box you slid into the sled so that you could hide stuff in it e.g. the empeg remote

Steve - 18GB Mk II Amber

2x80GB Mk II with Illuminated buttons