Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#261192 - 25/07/2005 06:00 So, what do you Tivo?
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
Well, Tivo or whatever DVR you use. After spending the last couple of years hearing how everyone's DVR here has changed their life, I finally broke down and spent the time, money, effort, and more time getting MythTV working pretty well, and am quickly filling up my hard drive with TV shows. So I am just curious what other people are recording on a regular basis.

My lineup right now consists of:
Good Eats - I am telling it to record every episode it can find, and eventually I expect I will be recording them on DVD so I can have them all forever.
The Daily Show - I finally watch this on a regular basis, instead of only when I remember to actually tune in.
The Most - A very entertaining History Channel show about the extremes of history
Hometime - an old home improvment show I didn't even know was still on anywhere
Maximum Exposure - Sarcastic home video show. Something of a guilty pleasure, though I am burning out on it fast
Best Week Ever - One of the funniest "week in review" shows ever.
Amazing Vacation Homes - A cute little show featuring interesting and unusual houses
Rick Steve Europe - One of the best travel shows ever made
Nova - A classic, though 50% of them are getting deleted unwatched for lack of interest about the subject matter
Aqua Teen Hunger Force - Um, not even sure how to describe this one, other than hilarious.

Plus this thing has allowed me to find all kind of interesting things, like the fascinating 3-part series they did on Guns, Germs, and Steel or Himalaya With Michael Palin.

But I am looking for more, hence the question of what everyone else is auto-recording. I can't think of a more appropriate group of people to ask then you folk.

#261193 - 25/07/2005 12:38 Re: So, what do you Tivo? [Re: ninti]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
The only 2 thing -=I=- record are MythBusters and Family Guy. the wife is responsible for the other 47 Season Passes. Oh, and the occasional college (Auburn) football game.

#261194 - 25/07/2005 15:15 Re: So, what do you Tivo? [Re: ninti]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Off the top of my head, here is what I'm recording that is currently airing:

The 4400
The Dead Zone
Monk
Harvey Birdman
Robot Chicken
Justice League Unlimited (what can I say, I'm a sucker for superhero stuff)
Attack of the Show (but I don't recommend it)
XPlay
Family Guy
American Dad (occasionally as funny as Family Guy. I wish they hadn't rerun the pilot last night, though. That episode was horrible)

and lastly, This Old House Classics

I've got plenty others, but this being the summer season, it's limited to those shows. They certainly keep me busy enough, though.

#261195 - 26/07/2005 00:13 Re: So, what do you Tivo? [Re: Dignan]
ninti
old hand

> The 4400

What is that one all about anyway? I know it is sci-fi-ish, and I think I know the basic premise; 4400 people who mysteriously disappeared all re-appear suddenly. So is it like X-files, trying to find out what happened to them, or something different? And is it the kind of thing you need to watch from the begining?

#261196 - 26/07/2005 03:08 Re: So, what do you Tivo? [Re: ninti]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Basically, you got it. They all have different "powers" when they come back. And yes, I'd say you need to start at the beginning.

#261197 - 26/07/2005 08:04 Re: So, what do you Tivo? [Re: ninti]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I do not have a DVR, but I certainly agree with the Good Eats choice. Great show! I mean, where else can you find a cooking show / chef that can do an entire 30 minute episode (you know what I mean) about peas and spoof The Exorcist at the same time?

#261198 - 26/07/2005 12:00 Re: So, what do you Tivo? [Re: ninti]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Yeah, you've got it right. Although it's less X-Files in one way than you might think. It's more in how they have two investigators checking out odd occurences. The only problem with the show is that the pacing is frequently odd, even though it seems like (as Bitt has said before) it seems like they know where they're going with the show.

#261199 - 26/07/2005 22:40 Re: So, what do you Tivo? [Re: Dignan]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
I have some of the same as Matt. Not all of these are active now, but some are.

Robot Chicken
Inuyasha
JLU (And very pissed it is over now! Time to get all the reruns to DVD)
The Batman (I love the theme that The Edge wrote)
The Simpsons
Smallville
Mythbusters
Monster Garage
American Chopper

Then I must have a wishlist for U2.

And I was recording every stage of the Tour de France.

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#261200 - 27/07/2005 02:09 Re: So, what do you Tivo? [Re: Waterman981]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
My name is Glenn and I'm addicted to SciFi.

That and movies from before WW2.

Speaking of tivo's, did you know there is no way to create a wishlist based on the year of release for a movie. Like say, between 1935 and 1942.

#261201 - 27/07/2005 11:42 Re: So, what do you Tivo? [Re: Waterman981]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
JLU (And very pissed it is over now! Time to get all the reruns to DVD)

Agreed! I'm amazed that out of all the shows I watch, the delays of that one have been the toughest to bear!

And like you say, we have very similar lists. I'll have to post my whole season pass list, because I only put down the ones that were on right now (and could remember).

#261202 - 27/07/2005 12:33 Re: So, what do you Tivo? [Re: Waterman981]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Monster Garage

Whilst the stuff they make is pretty neat, I can't stand the main presenter guy or the two voiceover guys at the end. Putting it on mute at the end when they test out the machines works for me

Sky in the UK are really annoying regarding scheduling. They keep showing repeats and going backwards and forwards. One of their things is to have multiple chains of repeats going at the same time which just gets confusing.

Ray Mears, MythBusters, Simpsons, CSI:LV and a bunch of other random stuff I can't quite remember at the moment as I'm not in near the TiVo.

#261203 - 27/07/2005 20:56 Re: So, what do you Tivo? [Re: ninti]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
On my replay:

American Dad
Inked (hoping to see me and my friends, as we were taped for it)
MInd of Mencia
Wierd US (I hope it's good, we'll find out this weekend)
The Daily Show (I hate the new studio)
Mad Money (JIm Cramer is the Gary Busey of finance)
Robot Chicken

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#261204 - 28/07/2005 00:23 Re: So, what do you Tivo? [Re: ninti]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
My favorite show is on PBS. History Detectives.

Cool investigative work into history.

#261205 - 31/07/2005 07:20 Re: So, what do you Tivo? [Re: Dignan]
ninti
old hand

Quote:
Yeah, you've got it right. Although it's less X-Files in one way than you might think. It's more in how they have two investigators checking out odd occurences. The only problem with the show is that the pacing is frequently odd, even though it seems like (as Bitt has said before) it seems like they know where they're going with the show.

Ha, you know I didn't even see that other thread talking about favorite TV shows until I did a search based on that mention of Bitt's discussing it before. Figures, is there anything that hasn't already been discussed on these boards before?

Anyway, I just finished watching the first season of 4400 tonight and I am pretty hooked. Thanks, that is the second good television show I have discovered through this board. The other being Firefly, coincidentally another Bitt recomendation. Hey Bitt, if I give you the password to my MythTV web interface, can you just program it for me?

#261206 - 01/08/2005 15:08 Re: So, what do you Tivo? [Re: ninti]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Let's see, I think there are a bunch of reality shows on "E!" I can program for you, uh, lots of Lifetime Movie Network. Oh! And Oprah; lots of Oprah!

#261207 - 01/08/2005 20:15 Re: So, what do you Tivo? [Re: wfaulk]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Sounds like my wife's list.