Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#262094 - 03/08/2005 12:33 It's quiet. Too quiet. (and a training question)
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
Things do slow down a bit here in August. I guess it's all the Europeans taking the month off, hanging out on the Med. I'll be gone for a couple weeks, too, so I guess I shouldn't comment. But none of this month off stuff. I'm so jealous.

My company just got acquired (which beats Ch. 11 or 7 - been there, done that). We currently use Netware (with eDirectory) and Groupwise. I know my way around Novell stuff well; I've been managing our infrastructure for 8 years, now. It's pretty much my infrastructure at this point.

The acquiring company is a Microsoft shop, and I need some training. I'm thinking MS courses 2400 (Exchange 2003), and 2277 and 2279 (Server and Active Directory, respectively). Should this get me up to speed?

And can anyone recommend a competent IT training company in the DC area?

many thanks!

-jk

#262095 - 03/08/2005 13:01 Re: It's quiet. Too quiet. (and a training question) [Re: jmwking]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
You would probably want to take the server and active directory class before exchange. Exchange is heavily intertwined with active directory, and without a background in AD, exchange gets a bit challenging. Depending on your TCP/IP skills, a basic microsoft networking course might also be a good idea.

#262096 - 03/08/2005 13:32 Re: It's quiet. Too quiet. (and a training question) [Re: pgrzelak]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
Thanks for that. One training center's September offering has the AD course first, followed by the Exchange course, then the Server course. I (think) I have enough general server experience to manage from there.

My tcpip is pretty solid (I also manage 20 or so cisco routers and associated firewalls and vpn).

thanks,

-jk