Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#295377 - 16/03/2007 13:17 Jet Blue
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
So we're having some weather in New England today and tomorrow, so Jet Blue (once burned) is cancelling flights pre-emptively, which is good - and waiving re-book fees, also good.

What's not good is that their servers seem to be melting - zero response when you try to get details a specific flight. Phone lines, fugghedaboutit!

So a quick google brings me to this article from Network World back in 2003.

A few choice quotes from JetBlue Airways CIO Jeff Cohen:

"So we have what were 64 servers reduced to three boxes. Think about how much less that is to administer and how much easier it is to look for the problem if something goes wrong," Cohen says.

"In the old days, people would say, 'Ah, a Microsoft environment. You really can't depend on them for enterprise applications; it's really only Office and the Windows thing'. . . . But Microsoft and JetBlue sort of grew up together into the enterprise business," Cohen says.

"JetBlue never had to deploy Unix. It never had to deploy AS/400s. It never had to put all of these other technologies out there, which obviously cost a lot of money to run," he says."

Boy, good thing they never had to deploy any systems which had to hold up under fire eh?

We'll see if I get to Flordia or not.

-Zeke

#295378 - 16/03/2007 13:34 Re: Jet Blue [Re: Ezekiel]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
"Jet Blue never had to deploy systems that, you know, work."

#295379 - 16/03/2007 13:56 Re: Jet Blue [Re: wfaulk]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
He replaced the Compaq servers that ran JetBlue.com with three of the hybrid ES7000/560s, letting him run 64-bit Microsoft SQL databases on Itanium 2 processors, reservation applications on 32-bit Xeon processors, and Web server and infrastructure applications on the PCI blade appliances - all in the same box.

Does this mean if I buy the biggest blade enclosure I can find that I can claim I'm running only 1 box for everything?

#295380 - 16/03/2007 14:26 Re: Jet Blue [Re: wfaulk]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Quote:
you know, work.

LMAO!

#295381 - 16/03/2007 17:04 Re: Jet Blue [Re: Ezekiel]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY

Yeah, I was supposed to go to the Dominican Republic today for a wedding. Maybe I'll get there tomorrow. Their staff at the airport was great, considering what they had to deal with.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#295382 - 16/03/2007 17:32 Re: Jet Blue [Re: tman]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Oh, let's poke more fun at this idiot:

Quote:
We have a totally wireless infrastructure; we're using Gigabit Ethernet

Wow. Gigabit over the air. Neat.

Quote:
EMC allowed me to take my storage from about 37% utilization up to about 87% utilization

So your storage vendor either created new data for you or reduced your storage space. How much do they charge for this amazing service?

Quote:
Agents access the airlines reservation-system application and phone system via two dial-up lines to their homes.

Huh. Two $40-per-month lines for each call-center employee. Not counting the two on the other end. So over $80 per month so that call-center employees can work at home. I bet that's much cheaper than having them actually located near each other.

Edited by wfaulk (16/03/2007 17:41)

#295383 - 16/03/2007 18:57 Re: Jet Blue [Re: wfaulk]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Well, we can't blame Mr. Cohen for today, he left Jetblue in 2004. Apparently it was so he didn't have to report to Sales & Marketing, so I guess we can't write him off as a _total_ idiot.

Seems like they're getting press for their aggressive cancellations today: NTY link.

-Zeke

...some other info on Jetblue's back-end...

#295384 - 16/03/2007 21:01 Re: Jet Blue [Re: wfaulk]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:

Oh my god, my boss must have a twin!

Andy M

#295385 - 16/03/2007 23:25 Re: Jet Blue [Re: wfaulk]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
EMC allowed me to take my storage from about 37% utilization up to about 87% utilization

So your storage vendor either created new data for you or reduced your storage space. How much do they charge for this amazing service?

Nah. They were probably using Windows 95 as a server and EMC got them to upgrade so now they're using FAT32

#295386 - 16/03/2007 23:54 Re: Jet Blue [Re: wfaulk]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:
We have a totally wireless infrastructure; we're using Gigabit Ethernet

Wow. Gigabit over the air. Neat.

Well, I almost had that working, but at the homeowners' association meeting, everybody said they were having really bad headaches, so I turned it off.

Quote:
Quote:

I can see some merit in this, even if poorly expressed. If he was paying to maintain lots of local storage for systems that needed to have average low utilization to allow for local usage spikes...and then migrated to something (EMC) with more aggregate capacity, that could allow higher average utilization while still accommodating interleaved "spikes" from those client systems. That could be a win.

Quote:
Quote:
Agents access the airlines reservation-system application and phone system via two dial-up lines to their homes.

Huh. Two $40-per-month lines for each call-center employee. Not counting the two on the other end. So over $80 per month so that call-center employees can work at home. I bet that's much cheaper than having them actually located near each other.

Again Jim rises to the defence of brethren Bozo. I haven't done the math, but $160 per month, or ~$2000 per year, seems like a favorable cost to keep a call center or transcription operator in service. I guess a lot of that would depend on per-square-foot rental costs for shitty cubicle space in different markets. Plus, turnover and all that. Much easier to tolerate doing that work if you can do it in your jammies.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#295387 - 16/03/2007 23:57 Re: Jet Blue [Re: Ezekiel]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:

-Zeke

Flordia. That's just south of Nurth Claronia. Where Biff lives.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#295388 - 17/03/2007 13:55 Re: Jet Blue [Re: andym]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
I hope he doesn't read that.

#295389 - 17/03/2007 14:00 Re: Jet Blue [Re: gbeer]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
I hope he doesn't read that.

Even if he does (which I'd be highly surprised), why should I give a rats ass? It's not like we get on anyway.

Andy M

#295390 - 19/03/2007 03:11 Re: Jet Blue [Re: jimhogan]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Saw NC out the window enroute. There & back again, no problems at all. Arguing grandmothers and grand-aunts; that's another story entirely.

Heather - hope you're reading this over a fruity drink on a beach in the Dominican someplace.

-Zeke