Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#264380 - 04/09/2005 12:49 Computer Fans and Dust
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
It's been a bit hot in London this past few weeks, and my computer's been suffering.

It's been crashing while playing games (currently working through Half-Life 2 for the second time), so I've been avoiding playing games.

Today, it crashed twice while encoding some music, so it's not the graphics card. I recently downloaded a CPU temperature monitoring utility which today had the CPU temps at around 63C (with a desk fan helping).

When it crashed the second time, I popped off the lid and cleaned all of the dust out of the fans, heatsinks etc.. There was quite a lot.

Put it all back together, and it's running at 60-61C while transcoding FLAC to MP3 (without the desk fan).

So, a tip: before upgrading your fans to better cool your PC, consider cleaning all of the crud out first.

I'm going to try some HL2 later and see what happens.

#264381 - 04/09/2005 22:11 Re: Computer Fans and Dust [Re: Roger]
SonicSnoop
addict

Loc: Triangle, VA
Ive known some people to put dryer sheets in front of the fan attached to the grills to help filter alot of the incomming dust.
-D Modifying and Tweaking is a journey, not a destination................................ MKIIa : 60gig - 040103286 - Blue - v2 + PCATS tuner MKIIa : 20gig - 040103260 - Blue - v3a8 + Mark Lord Special Edition Cherry Dock