Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#275593 - 05/02/2006 16:27 Does anyone care about the Grammys?
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I was just curious if I'm in the minority in thinking that the Grammys are a crock. It seems to me like one of the many aspects of our musical culture that are geared towards people who aren't really that interested in music, at least in the popular genre parts, mostly either just presenting people who are already popular, ignoring everything outside the mainstream, yet somehow relish in also nominating old fogies who haven't been popular in ages. Basically, while the other awards ceremonies have a corpus to choose from that is relatively small, the Grammys have to choose from thousands and thousands of albums and singles, so really only choose ones that are popular to begin with, almost completely ignoring artistry.

#275594 - 05/02/2006 18:18 Re: Does anyone care about the Grammys? [Re: wfaulk]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I never followed the Grammy awards much, but when Jethro Tull won the first heavy metal award, I knew it was time to pack it in...

#275595 - 06/02/2006 01:40 Re: Does anyone care about the Grammys? [Re: wfaulk]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Yes, the Grammys and the Billboard awards are total crap.. Of course, I think that about most award shows as it is, but those are the worst two in my opinion.

It's funny though because I dislike the Billboard awards for ONLY paying attention to "sales" and such while at the same time I'm annoyed by the Academy awards for ignoring movies that are obviously popular with so many people. Maybe it's because I've been suckered into watching movies like Sideways..

I'm sure most of us can think of excellent directors, musicians, actors, etc that have never been nominated for anything at all.

#275596 - 06/02/2006 03:12 Re: Does anyone care about the Grammys? [Re: pgrzelak]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I had the same reaction, and I LOVED that particular Tull album.

#275597 - 06/02/2006 13:14 Re: Does anyone care about the Grammys? [Re: pgrzelak]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
Quote:
...but when Jethro Tull won the first heavy metal award, I knew it was time to pack it in...

Come on! You know that adding a bit of flute in the mix is bound to launch you into the heavy metal category.

#275598 - 06/02/2006 14:07 Re: Does anyone care about the Grammys? [Re: Cybjorg]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA

In which case, their earlier albums with violin should have really confused matters!!!