Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#289715 - 13/11/2006 18:03 Hardware Troubleshooting Help Needed!
SonicSnoop
addict

Loc: Triangle, VA
Ok so I have a ShuttlePC (SV25) and I swapped out the hard drive the other day and went to install windows, it got to a point where it rebooted and when came back up kept restarting the install. I did a google on it and people kept saying to run memtest86 on it, i did ran for 24 hours. no errors.. ran install again and this time it worked. I was then able to format my second partition on the new drive, and copy over my 30g music collection to it.. then it had locked up a little latter after that.. Now when ever I reboot it appears fine everything loads but soon as I open maxthon it reboots. If I open my computer it locks.. So I switched back to the original working hard drive and now same deal.. I downloaded the ultimate boot cd burnt it and ran that, every memory test i run seems fine, however any cpu one i run the screen goes black and the system is locked.. My question is how can i tell if its just the cpu or if its the motherboard? or do you think its something completely differnt? Thanks!!
-D Modifying and Tweaking is a journey, not a destination................................ MKIIa : 60gig - 040103286 - Blue - v2 + PCATS tuner MKIIa : 20gig - 040103260 - Blue - v3a8 + Mark Lord Special Edition Cherry Dock

#289716 - 13/11/2006 18:05 Re: Hardware Troubleshooting Help Needed! [Re: SonicSnoop]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Well, you could swap out the CPU, but you probably don't have one lying around. Not much other way to be sure that I can think of, though.

#289717 - 13/11/2006 18:42 Re: Hardware Troubleshooting Help Needed! [Re: SonicSnoop]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
Just a few random suggestions in no particular order....

* In case of a bad contact, remove and re-seat as much as you can on the motherboard (DIMM, VGA, PCI cards etc.).

* If you have more than one memory module installed, try removing some and see if that makes a difference.

* Check that the CPU heatsink is getting warm and is making a good thermal contact with the CPU. If in doubt, buy a small tube of thermal grease from your local electronics store and clean/re-apply sparingly. Either way, give the heatsink a few gentle twists to bed it down.

* If the BIOS has a preset "Fail Safe" setting reset to those and see how it goes.

* Hooking up a spare PSU (even if it won't fit your case) might tell you that your PSU is marginal or failing.

#289718 - 13/11/2006 18:55 Re: Hardware Troubleshooting Help Needed! [Re: SonicSnoop]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
I had a Shuttle SV25 and had similar sporadic stability issues until it just refused to boot at all. I will point you straight at the dreaded faulty capacitor problem.

I would completely disassemble the machine and take out the FV25 motherboard to have a close look at the capacitors. Some are likely to be a little swollen with raised tops - these are bad. Badcaps.net have more info.

Before replacing capacitors:

First boot after replacing capcitors:

I passed on that machine to my cousin and it is still working, even if it is ridiculously noisy by modern standards. If I remember it has a 1.26GHz PIII Tualatin processor in it with 1GB RAM, which makes it pretty nippy too.

Good luck!

#289719 - 13/11/2006 19:18 Re: Hardware Troubleshooting Help Needed! [Re: sein]
SonicSnoop
addict

First off thanks guys for the replies!
Hmmmm the 3 Big caps clustered near the CPU are kinda puffed up and even one of them has a pin head size of pink material sitcking out from the foil at the top.. I will check out that link at badcaps and go from there.. Thanks!
-D Modifying and Tweaking is a journey, not a destination................................ MKIIa : 60gig - 040103286 - Blue - v2 + PCATS tuner MKIIa : 20gig - 040103260 - Blue - v3a8 + Mark Lord Special Edition Cherry Dock

#289720 - 13/11/2006 20:50 Re: Hardware Troubleshooting Help Needed! [Re: sein]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I had a Shuttle SV25 and had similar sporadic stability issues until it just refused to boot at all. I will point you straight at the dreaded faulty capacitor problem.

Yup. Exactly the same problem with mine. Replaced a bunch of capacitors in it and all was well again but I junked it soon after because of the noise.

#289721 - 13/11/2006 22:07 Re: Hardware Troubleshooting Help Needed! [Re: tman]
SonicSnoop
addict

I talked with the guy at badcaps and he agrees that it is the cap problem that this board is supposidly well known for.. so I have taking it out of the case and am shipping it out to him tomorrow to have them replaced.. Thanks guys for the help!