Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#291583 - 20/12/2006 02:46 Interesting Buttefly I Saw in Mexico
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Attached is a small segment of a picture I took today of a butterfly known here in Mexico as La Bruja ("Witch"). This butterfly was over six inches wingtip to wingtip, and I was told by our B&B hostess that this was a small one -- some of them are twice the size.

I'd attach the picture of the whole butterfly, but the file is too large.

tanstaafl

Attachments
292247-Butterfly.jpg (186 downloads)

#291584 - 20/12/2006 03:08 Re: Interesting Buttefly I Saw in Mexico [Re: tanstaafl.]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
That is awesome. I could host the full for you or you could try imageshack or one of those other free photo-hosting services.

#291585 - 20/12/2006 15:41 Re: Interesting Buttefly I Saw in Mexico [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I'd attach the picture of the whole butterfly, but the file is too large.

*SIGH* Some people just can't figure out how to use the resize/resample features in their image editing applications...

#291586 - 20/12/2006 16:16 Re: Interesting Buttefly I Saw in Mexico [Re: tfabris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
He's on vacation Tony! He should have brought Photoshop and made a montage.

#291587 - 23/12/2006 12:56 Re: Interesting Buttefly I Saw in Mexico [Re: hybrid8]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Some cameras do seem to have limited crop and edit functionality, but each brand's approach is different. Wouldn't it be nice if camara makers licensed a portable version of Photoshop for use on location? Same interface on all cameras, same features you use (for simple editing) at home. Port it to run on the camera's firmware and you're good to go.

Nah, Photoshop wouldn't be suitable. But for an independant software shop, this could be a gold mine.

#291588 - 23/12/2006 19:46 Re: Interesting Buttefly I Saw in Mexico [Re: FireFox31]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Quote:
a portable version of Photoshop for use on location?

Given the UI feature overload that is any modern point-and-shoot camera, it's hard to imagine how you could make this work. Remember, back in the ancient days, when some Kodak cameras supported external applications? These days, you'd probably do that with J2ME or something, but it might still not be the right way to go. (Also, camera vendors are desperate to offer any feature that might differentiate them from their peers, as opposed to having another licensing cost that further strains their negligible profit margins.)

What I think might be better would be a tighter coupling between iPhoto/Picasa/whatever else and your web browser, such that when I'm staring at a post editing form, like the one I'm using now, I can flip over to Picasa, press one button, and it resizes/scales the picture, posts it on the web somewhere, and places the URL in the cut buffer surrounded by the proper IMG tags (which, naturally, vary from one board to the next).

#291589 - 10/01/2007 01:22 Re: Interesting Buttefly I Saw in Mexico [Re: RobotCaleb]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:
That is awesome. I could host the full for you or you could try imageshack or one of those other free photo-hosting services.

I'm back from Mexico and have a more reliable internet connection now, so I can finally link to the pictures that you so kindly hosted for me.

Pictures

I'm particularly pleased with the picture of the dragonfly.

tanstaafl.