I like to travel by motorcycle. I just lost my job and it's summer, so I'm thinking about taking a trip. Last year I took a 9 week trip from my home in Minneapolis out to California and then north along the west side of North America to Alaska.

I don't know if I can afford it. Probably not, but I'll probably do something anyhow. Sigh.

I've been looking at my photos from that trip and thought I'd share one of my favorites. About 10 of my pictures turned out fairly well so I thought I'd share one. If anyone cares, I can post a couple others.

I took this picture at about 3am along the Dalton Highway, which leads about 450 miles north of the Arctic Circle to stop at Prudhoe Bay on the Arctic Ocean. The "Highway" bit is kind of a joke. Its a rough dirt track that the locals just call the "Haul Road" or the "North Slope Haul Road". I was about 100 miles south of the ocean when I took this picture. It was the first week in July, so the sun never set but it came relatively close to the horizon (about one hand width with your arm completely outstretched) at about 2:30 am. From about 1:00am to 4:00am the sun was low enough to look like a beautiful sunset -- for over 3 hours!

Jim

Attachments
162440-3amDalton.jpg (96 downloads)