Hi guys, heres the story. My boss has a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo on a Dell computer running Windows 2k professional. She also has an obsession with drinking tea allll day long. So yesterday morning she spills a huge, novelty size cup of tea onto her keyboard. The keyboard is soaked and her admin assistant drys the keyboard off (not really), waits a few minutes and tells my boss that they keyboard works after her thorough testing. After using the recently soaked keyboard for a few minutes, my boss starts realizing that the keys are all mixed up. She was in the middle of .pdf'ing a document and whatever she was doing accidentally made the computer restart.

This is where things take a turn for the worse. The mouse doesn't work, the keyboard doesn't respond, nothin. Note I've come into this whole situation quite late, her administrative assistant was dealing with this yesterday. Its a really long story but basically, over the next 7 hours, she goes through about 4 or 5 different mouse/keyboard combinations: Logitech MX5000 (which she realized was only for Windows XP after connecting and trying to install it), the original mouse, Logitech MX3000, LX300?, and a generic mouse/keyboard setup. Everytime she would try a different combination, it would get as far as the Login screen. At that point, it wouldn't proceed further because neither mouse or keyboard would work. When she tried the original, the mouse worked and she was able to get into Windows and everything was just fine. I guess this was when she tried installing drivers for one of the other keyboards and she was unable to for some reason. This part might have happened a couple times.

God what a pita. Anyhow, basically she calls me in this morning and says, "nothing works, the ports must be fried." I go in there, disconnect everything except for a generic keyboard and mouse. Turn on the computer and F2 to get into setup. The keyboard responds and I can get into setup. Next, while its loading Windows I hit F8 to try to get into Safe Mode and that works. So it starts up in safe mode and gets to the login screen but no further. All you can do is shut down and turn the computer back on again. This is where we are at right now. Basically, the computer is not recognizing any keyboard or mouse. There is no way to get past the login screen. I don't think the ports are fried*, but I do think she tried installing so many different types of Logitech keyboards and mice as well as a microsoft usb mouse, that the computer is just totally confused at this point. Nothing is responding.

Please help. My boss is flippin out and I pretty much have no clue how to proceed. Logitech apparantly told whatserface that they couldn't help her if she can't get past the login screen.

* The old Logitech system she was using (with the teasoaked keyboard) had a rechargable base for the mouse. The way it connected was that the base has a USB connnection that goes to the computer -- however, the part that goes into the back of the PC is a little fatter cause it is also where the power plugs in. The mouse/base were never touched by the tea though so I dunno how this coulda fried anything.

I know this is really ridiuclous and convoluted but any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.