Windows Vista had a version of the Microsoft Windows photo viewer (I think it was called Photo Gallery, not sure) that was useful. It was the default viewer, and I could click through pictures downloaded from my camera, and if I wanted I could do light editing, i.e., adjust contrast, brightness, color saturation etc. from within the viewer.

I skipped Windows 7, went to Windows 8, and the default photo viewer is pretty much useless. About all I can do is click through and look at the pictures. No more editing capability. I don't know if they did this in Windows 7, or waited until Windows 8 to ruin the program.

I used to be able to tweak a picture and move on to the next one in less time than it takes me now to even start up any standalone image editor that I have, much less find and open the file with the editor, dig through the menus to find the tool I want, perform the edit, save the file, and go back to the useless photo viewer.

What is my option to recover the former usefulness of quickly clicking through a batch of photos and doing light editing on some of them without having to call up a separate editing program each time I want to brighten an image or increase the contrast?

tanstaafl.