Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#73583 - 20/02/2002 20:17 Can't connect with serial...
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Hi,

I didn't see an answer to this in the FAQ...

I have a brand-new-out-of-the-box empeg that I'm trying to upgrade the firmware on before I do anything else. I've connected it to the sole serial port on my machine (which usually has my mouse connected to it) with the serial cable included in the box. I'm running a Debian distro with the 2.4.9 kernel.

When I run upgclient, it fails with "empeg unit not found". When I try running "emptool /dev/ttyS0", I get two different behaviours:

1) It checks the connection, and stops, telling me to check the cabling.
2) It sits there with no response to anything I type until I get fed up and hit ^C.

I've checked to make sure gpm isn't running, and that the serial port baud_rate is what the docs say it should be:

> setserial -a /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: 16450, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
closing_wait: 3000
Flags: spd_vhi skip_test

Any suggestions you can give to help me turn this expensive paperweight into a smashing mp3 player would be appreciated.

Thanks.

#73584 - 21/02/2002 10:29 Re: Can't connect with serial... [Re: canuckInOR]
peterk
journeyman

Loc: California (Ex NZ)
Try running minicom.

When the player starts up it will dump vast globs of data out the serial port. When it is running you will also see status info.

Make sure your settings are 115200, 8, N, 1 and NO FLOW CONTROL.

See this link for how to do it in windows.

When you can view the player status info, you shouldn't have any problems with the upgrade.

You didn't mention in your post, are you using the empeg supplied cable? If not, It must be a null modem cable.

Hope this helps
Peter

#73585 - 21/02/2002 18:16 Re: Can't connect with serial... [Re: peterk]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Hmm... I'll try that out tonight. Thanks for the
suggestion. I am using the supplied cable, btw.

Cheers,

#73586 - 22/02/2002 11:45 Re: Can't connect with serial... [Re: canuckInOR]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Aha, as I was installing minicom, I discovered the difference between setserial, which doesn't actually modify the hardware settings, and stty, which does. My serial port was still stuck on 9600 baud, even parity. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Cheers,