Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#238057 - 18/10/2004 11:18 Another HDD issue
Globbits
new poster

Hi all - got a dodgy MkII - wondered if you could help

It's coming up with the usual "No Hard disk found" message and, when I look at the serial port, it tells me it's looking for the primary drive, fails and the OS dumps. Okay, fine - nothing unusual there.

So, I've tried the cable and hard drive in my other Empeg and they're fine (poor taste in music, but the devices are fine ) I've now got the m/b out and there don't seem to be any lifted connections on the IDE header connector. BUT, there is one that's clearly broken. As you look over the screen, towards the back of the case, the back left connector is not joining with its little connector on the m/b.

Having looked underneath the m/b, I don't think that connection goes anywhere. But, since I don't have my small soldering iron handy enough to reflow all the joins right now, I thought I'd ask for comments from you guys, about the board and about that specific connector.

Any comments (other than go home and reflow the IDE connections) you can offer would be gratefully received

Richard

#238058 - 18/10/2004 11:26 Re: Another HDD issue [Re: Globbits]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
There is no separate connector on the motherboard -- only a pad. Are you saying that the header pin has broken in two? That sucks.

#238059 - 18/10/2004 11:39 Re: Another HDD issue [Re: Globbits]
Globbits
new poster

No, not as bad as that. (Sorry, poor description )

The tab, from the pin I mentioned, gets soldered onto the m/b. But, the copper where it's supposed to be soldered onto has "disappeared" (previous owner's repair, I suspect). But, looking at my own Empeg, this bit of copper doesn't lead to anywhere else on the m/b. So, what I'm wondering is if anyone knows whether this pin is used on the IDE cable, or whether I'm chasing a red herring by attempting to repair the missing copper.

Hope that makes sense?

#238060 - 18/10/2004 16:57 Re: Another HDD issue [Re: Globbits]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Quote:
whether this pin is used on the IDE cable, or whether I'm chasing a red herring by attempting to repair the missing copper

Found a description of signals on the 44 pin IDE here (page 15). Don't know if that is always the same (ie all signals always used, or if this description is exhaustive or not)... but might be useful.

From your description it sounds like it's one of the corner pins that isn't connected (ie 1, 22, 23 or 44, depending of the orientation, which I don't recall)

Pin 1 is described as RESET, 22 as GND, 23 as IOW-/STOP and 44 as Not connected.
So it could be that it is correct for it to not be connected...

HTH,