Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#243862 - 11/12/2004 19:54 Noise on the aux input
snoopstah
enthusiast

Loc: Squamish, BC
Hi guys,

I'm experiencing a lot of noise on the auxiliary input - I use this for my Bluetooth car kit, but I can also hear a pulsing that alters as the car speed increases (note, vehicle speed, not engine speed) and since I've fitted the tuner module, I can very faintly hear the radio when I select aux-input.

On the other inputs it's fine (apart from some alternator whine, but that's due to a non-optimal amp grounding which I'm going to fix ASAP). I saw an entry in the FAQ that referred to grounding the aux in RCA sleeves, but I'm unsure why this would be necessary?

Is this likely to be the cause? If so, what's the best way to go about grounding them?
Empeg Mk2a 128G with amber lit buttons kit - #30102490

PhotoVancouver | Squamish, BC Webcam | Personal Website

#243863 - 12/12/2004 01:36 Re: Noise on the aux input [Re: snoopstah]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I saw an entry in the FAQ that referred to grounding the aux in RCA sleeves, but I'm unsure why this would be necessary?

Because it might help get rid of a ground loop.

Quote:
If so, what's the best way to go about grounding them?

Attach a ground wire to them. If necessary, buy the appropriate male and female connectors at radio shack and fashion an adapter with a ground wire coming out of it.

Quote:
apart from some alternator whine, but that's due to a non-optimal amp grounding which I'm going to fix ASAP

You must also fix that if you want your aux input to work properly.

#243864 - 13/12/2004 18:56 Re: Noise on the aux input [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
...or you could mail me on [email protected] for a pair of Mk 1 in-line grounding leads.

Although there are only a few of these left, I will be able to get them re-manufactured pretty soon. They do have an eyelet for grounding, but this could turn out to be a good way to attach it to both earthpoint and the sled metalwork. I have this setup built into my sled harness.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015