Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#238261 - 19/10/2004 15:55 Hard drive upgrade question
sjthomp
new poster

I'm replacing the 20gb primary drive in my RioCar with a 100gb drive. (I already have a secondary drive.) I'm a little unsure of something from Tony Fabris' hard drive upgrade faq.

He (or you, if Tony's reading) mentions that you can copy the config.ini file from the old drive to the new one. While looking in the var dir that houses the config.ini file on drive0, I also found files called "database", "playlists" and "tags". The faq doesn't say anything about copying these files, and none of them are on drive1 (the one staying in the RioCar). If I understand correctly, copying the fids dir only copies the music files themselves, not the playlists or other info. Does this mean that I'm going to lose my playlist and tag info after the copy, or is there something extra I need to do?

Also, it's a little unclear when I'm supposed to copy the .ini file from the outgoing drive0. The order it's written in, it comes after reassembling the player, but that doesn't make sense. I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly. Do you just copy the config.ini right after copying the fids dir, before making the drives read-only again? And is it the same with copying the dynamic data partition, if I want to do that?

Thanks.

#238262 - 19/10/2004 16:05 Re: Hard drive upgrade question [Re: sjthomp]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The fids are also the playlists. Some of the fids are playlists, others are music files.

The database files get rebuilt on-the-fly when you synch (instructions to synch after copying the files are in the drive upgrade guide).

Copy the ini file whenever you like. At any point after the new drive is fully built.

But you don't really need to copy the ini file unless you've got a lot of handcrafted custom stuff in there. Mostly, the ini file stores settings in the "Configure Player" screen in emplode, so it's better just to go in there and fix up the settings there after you're done.

#238263 - 19/10/2004 16:16 Re: Hard drive upgrade question [Re: tfabris]
sjthomp
new poster

Cool, thanks for the answers (not to mention the faq).

#238264 - 20/10/2004 08:58 Re: Hard drive upgrade question [Re: sjthomp]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
It doesn't hurt to copy playlist, database and tags files. I have done so when upgrading my player, and I've omitted the "empty sync" step (which rebuilds these files from the fids).

If you choose to copy config.ini, you should do this at the same time as the fids and the above-mentioned files. Definitely before you make the destination drive read-only again.

Copying the dynamic data partition can be done at the same time. It is possible to leave it until later, as this is writing directly to the partition, not to a filesystem, so there's no concept of read-only for this part. (Indeed, this is why a raw partition is used, so that the player software can write to it whilst the filesystems are read-only)

#238265 - 20/10/2004 17:22 Re: Hard drive upgrade question [Re: tms13]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
It doesn't hurt to copy playlist, database and tags files. I have done so when upgrading my player, and I've omitted the "empty sync" step (which rebuilds these files from the fids).

But there are some situations when you would not want to do that, or when doing so would result in confusion or errors. So that's something you should only do if you really know what you're doing.

The person who started this thread clearly didn't fall into that category, so my original suggestions still stand: Don't copy the database, and don't copy config.ini. Use emplode to fill out the Configure Player screen, and do the empty sync exactly as the Drive Upgrade Guide instructs.

#238266 - 21/10/2004 07:32 Re: Hard drive upgrade question [Re: tfabris]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
Quote:
Quote:
It doesn't hurt to copy playlist, database and tags files...

But there are some situations when you would not want to do that, or when doing so would result in confusion or errors.

Such as?

I don't see any way it could cause errors, assuming the errors weren't there to begin with. As for confusion, anyone who can manage the rest of a drive transplant should be able to manage this.

So how could copying the metadata files be a problem?