Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#304181 - 20/11/2007 20:40 W icon, hdd not spinning down
elperepat
enthusiast

Loc: Qc, Canada
Hi!

Lately, I noticed my riocar was not spinning down the hard discs. I get an "Icon with bright line in center" most of the time. I also get the flashing W letter every 3-4 seconds. If I pause the music, the hard drives stop after a short while (30 seconds) as usual. If I let it play normally, it will eventually stop the drives, but not within normal delay, sometimes not at all. It seems quite random.

Attached is a bootlog. Alll seems normal, except the ide_data_test. FAQ says the 4 last lines sould be pairs, I get only the last 3 correctly. Is it bad?

I looked at the hard drives cable/header as I already had problems in this area but all seems fine. I did not get any "Hard disk not found" lately.

It looks like the player can't get data fast enough out of the hard drives. Music doesn't skip, but I occasionnaly hear a glitch not present in the mp3 files. Hard drives are the original drives from back when I bought the player. Could they be bad? Any idea?

Thanks

Patrick

Riocar 32meg v2.01
Original 2x30G Jan-2001 Fujitsu
Hijack 465

Attachments
305875-elperepatempegdump.txt (167 downloads)

#304182 - 20/11/2007 23:32 Re: W icon, hdd not spinning down [Re: elperepat]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It might be your cache settings combined with the RAM upgrade causing much of the above. Maybe there's nothing wrong with the hard disks:

- Icon indicating data is being constantly read.
- Occasional glitches as it spends too much CPU time trying to fill the cache.

Everyone else: Is there a way to tell the software to behave exactly as if he didn't have any RAM upgrade at all?

If so, try that, and see if all your problems go away.

#304183 - 21/11/2007 09:54 Re: W icon, hdd not spinning down [Re: tfabris]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Everyone else: Is there a way to tell the software to behave exactly as if he didn't have any RAM upgrade at all?

Install a non hijack kernel would do it and/or install v2.00 which doesn't support the extra memory.

Or use ReserveCache .ini option but that wouldn't be exact.

edit: And standard engineering applies here. If it used to be OK, then something must have changed. Whether it's the drives dying, the header failing, different music etc.

edit2: maybe get the smart tools on there to check out the drives?

edit3: remove the secondary drive and see if it's OK?

Edited by Shonky (21/11/2007 10:00)
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)