It's been probably 3 years since i had to post a question about my Empeg! Just recently, when I was turning my truck off, i started hearing a thump/crack when the unit would power down. I checked in the FAQ and found something similar about the ignition causing a negative ground spike, so i decided to leave the ignition on and just power the player on and off by holding the top button in. Sure enough, it still does it, so I can assume it's not iginition related.

My player has worked without a single problem for the last 3 years, (i have had it for over 7 years and only had to replace the drives, add a resistor, add a capacitor and a few other small things..)

So, hopefully I can describe correctly what is happening...

When I turn the unit on, it powers up normally, and on occasion i hear static for about 3 to 5 seconds after the unit has been on for two or three minutes. I only hear this static one time per power on, its always less than 5 seconds in duration, its always very faint, and it never does it twice per power cycle. Also, now 7 out of 10 times i turn the unit off, i hear a thump with varying levels of loudness. It is not being caused by the ignition because i cycle the players power using the top button on the player. When i turn the player off, I hear an immediate thump in the right channel, then a secondary thump in the left channel about 1 second later. This is a "new thing" for my player that just started happening about a week ago. The only think I've done to my truck is had the air conditioner worked on about a month ago. I am thinking it's related to the internal circuitry of the empeg player because it doesn't do it "every time" i cycle the players power...

Any have any ideas if a cap or a diode could have gone bad inside the player? At first I thought it was the subwoofer doing it, but i totally disconnect that and then noticed that it was doing it in the right and left channels... It is a pretty significant thump/crack, and I can't help but wonder why i am hearing static sometimes too. I am perplexed...