Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#75329 - 26/02/2002 15:27 Do I have to do a long press to insert or append?
dcosta
enthusiast

Loc: Massachussetts
I now I have to do the long press to "insert" or "append" a song or playlist into the current playlist

I was thinking that it would be handy to change the default (replace) action
either (ideally) on the player itself, or in emplode so that whatever list you chose could be
"appended" to or "inserted" into the current playing list by default without having to do the long press thing.
(although the three options in the long press menu would stay)

<I digress>
This would be especially handy to create custom playlists on the fly.
For example, you could play a song you feel like hearing,
then use the Playlists feature to append songs with more ease
than having to do a bunch of long presses to invoke this functionality.
</I digress>

Since a long press of the down button gives you the option to do all there of these things,
I figure the functionality is already there, It would just be a matter of tweaking a UI

To take this a step further...
once you have inserted and appended a bunch of songs,
we all know you can save the list as bookmark 1, 2 or 3.
It would be great to be able to later use emplode (or the player itself)
to save the bookmarked lists as a regular Playlist.

I do not have the programming skill to make this happen, but maybe someone here does.

Anyone ?

#75330 - 26/02/2002 16:45 Re: Do I have to do a long press to insert or append? [Re: dcosta]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
This belongs in the WISH forum. Make a concise post describing the wish, since it's a feature for the player software, not ideally a hack.

It's probably been mentioned before or perhaps specifically requested in its own message. Do a search to check. I'd really like this feature as well. They should be adding another type of "insert" at some point - that would be a good opportunity to enhance that menu and default behaviour.

Bruno

#75331 - 26/02/2002 19:08 Re: Do I have to do a long press to insert or append? [Re: dcosta]
Yang
addict

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Heh, I didn't even know a long press would allow insert/append.. It's unfortunate that because of the limitations, the interface has to break as many UI rules as it does (multi-function buttons, most menu items are off the screen...), but I guess I can't have everything..

#75332 - 27/02/2002 10:53 Re: Do I have to do a long press to insert or append? [Re: Yang]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
There really is only so much you can do with 5 buttons and a knob...

#75333 - 27/02/2002 11:34 Re: Do I have to do a long press to insert or append? [Re: Yang]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Nobody said it was a consumerised product. It's a geek product, and the demands for extra functionality far outweigh the demands for a more orthogonal UI.

Rob

#75334 - 27/02/2002 11:50 Re: Do I have to do a long press to insert or append? [Re: andy]
Yang
addict

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Limited number of buttons doesn't limit that much. 4 directionals and a dial are pretty much all you need, but how they are used to interface with the screen is where problems occur. Baring the entire argument by the 'I know how to get all of the functionality, so don't bore me with extra menus'-camp, hidden function makes an interface hard to use. As any course in human-computer-interaction can tell you, not indicating what a button does should be avoided..

Heck, even though I know that the Down button brings up the menu, I often press pause instead, simply because the menu is at the top of the screen, and pause is at the top of the player. Perfect example of how mapping is something the mind does naturally and therefore should be taken into consideration. And yes, I know all of the reasons why it should be down, but that doesn't mean it works for me..

Granted, this is a device that will always have to break some UI rules to provide the functionality it does, simply because of the limitations of the interface, but it doesn't mean breaking them when it can be avoided..