Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#74332 - 23/02/2002 10:22 Suggestions to Empeg and/or mlord...
jfriel
new poster

Loc: IA, USA
These are user interface comments and suggestions, and are in no particular order. And, I'm not sure who controls what is discussed so I included the Empeg team and Mark.

1. When the volume is "locked" can cannot be changed, don't pop up the volume adjustment display. I have a kenwood head in the truck and wanted the remote to change the volume on the kenwood, not the empeg. No need to display a bar that cannot change on the empeg.

2. The number (1) on the remote cycles through different time frames when you press it. the suggestion is to only rotate to the next type of display if the current display is active. I run with the visuals in transient mode, and sometimes want to just pop the current time on. I have to hit the (1) button a bunch of times to get to the clock. What I want is to not have the (1) button display *and* rotate, but just display. If is is currently on screen and (1) is pressed again, then rotate *and* display. This way, at any time, I can press (1) and see the clock momentarily.

3. The above rotate scenario would also be welcome on the menu key that changes display modes. While in Transient Visuals mode, pressing the Menu should show the current song and slide away. If the song is displayed, then rotate to the next display mode.

No replies necessary. Just trying to help.

Cheers!

John

#74333 - 23/02/2002 12:26 Re: Suggestions to Empeg and/or mlord... [Re: jfriel]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
That's ALL player stuff, not Hijack.

-ml

#74334 - 23/02/2002 15:32 Re: Suggestions to Empeg and/or mlord... [Re: jfriel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have a kenwood head in the truck and wanted the remote to change the volume on the kenwood, not the empeg. No need to display a bar that cannot change on the empeg.

This can be fixed using the "disable Kenwood remote" feature which you haven't yet discovered. FAQ entry is here. Enjoy!

#74335 - 23/02/2002 17:39 Re: Suggestions to Empeg and/or mlord... [Re: tfabris]
jfriel
new poster

Loc: IA, USA
Mark, thanks for the heads up, you're doing a fine job, keep it up!

Tony, you missed the point entirely. I'm quite happy with using the kenwood remote to run both units. Having been a programmer for the last 25 years has helped me understand what makes (and breaks) good user interfaces. If you want to shell out the bucks to replace my remote, I'll be happy to give you an address to ship it to! But, even with a RIO remote, the changes I suggest are still user interface issues that should be addressed.

As for the FAQ entry, it doesn't cover those of us who *like* the kenwood remote. It should be revised to include info about locking the volume in the empeg unit itself.

Cheers!

john

#74336 - 23/02/2002 17:56 Re: Suggestions to Empeg and/or mlord... [Re: jfriel]
Yang
addict

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Have you tried using the ir_translate function to program the volup/down in normal mode to nulls? I'll give it a go and see what I can come up with.

Update, If you do:

Vol+=Null.N
Vol-=Null.N

in [ir_translate] you can disable the volume up/down buttons from pulling up the volume menu if menus aren't already up. You can take the .N off and disable it entirely, but it is handy for navigation..

Strike that, only the volume knob works for menus.. remote volume buttons don't do anything..

Edited by Yang (23/02/2002 23:49)