Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#48512 - 29/11/2001 22:10 Batch rename/settings/utilities in emplode
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I'd really like some type of batch wildcard renaming abilities added to emplode. This would have to go bit beyond the wildcard renaming functions od the DOS rename command though. But still be fairly easy to use.

I keep my MP3 files on a 60GB disk and labled to allow for proper sorting. That means the 4-digit year prefacing each album title, inside an artist folder. When bringing this into emplode it allows things to sort in the correct order. However, I'd love to be able to strip these digits out of the names in the database.

Actually, if I had an advanced tool that allowed parsing of the filename and adding some of that to the data fieldsm that would be optimal. Then these playlists that were formerly folders, would lose the year in their names, but could get it added to the Year field of their properties.

I have a lot of material like this (450 albums or so) and do not look forward to manually doing all the work. I'd also love to be able to mass set the genre field for selected playlists based on the songs within that playlist (these album lists have the same genre field for each song within them, but their own genre field is obviously blank by default because they were originally just folders).

Options like this will really add to the management aspects of emplode. These things are possible in a couple of MP3 tagger programs I have, but obviously anything to do with the music on the empeg needs a custom solution.

This should also be considered a suggestion for anyone else who wants to develop a third-party program for this purpose alone or other batch operations, not to mention JEmplode.

Bruno

#48513 - 29/11/2001 22:17 Re: Batch rename/settings/utilities in emplode [Re: hybrid8]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Man, I just noticed that multi-selecting a bunch of files doesn't even allow a batch operation in the properties dialog. Oh no.

This is something that is present in a lot of other software, and even in something as simple as Apple's iTunes is handled without a problem. Selecting multiple tunes would grey-out any items that were not common between them. Changing anything that is already common would change that for all the files, and changing anything that wasn't common (over-riding the grey-out) would tell you that you are about to affect all files, but still allow it if you wanted to do it.

Right now for some things, I'm tempted to delete them off the player, make some batch adjustments to the MP3 files, and then resync them.

#48514 - 29/11/2001 22:45 Re: Batch rename/settings/utilities in emplode [Re: hybrid8]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Wish list rule #1: Don't ask for wishes that have already been granted in public releases of the software.

Batch editing is in 2.0b3. Join the new millennium and upgrade!

#48515 - 29/11/2001 23:01 Re: Batch rename/settings/utilities in emplode [Re: tonyc]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Batch editing is in 2.0b3. Join the new millennium and upgrade!

Hey, I've only just had the empeg for two weeks and one day. And it took a few days to get my replacement drive cable sent over from the UK. Not too much time to have installed new software yet. :) Oh, and it took me two nights to get all my music onto the player.

I thought I'd wait until the next beta. I'm usually all over new releases of anything. I've always run beta this and btea that. I guess I've gotten a little out of that mode in certain respects because I test software for a living - I'm usually not in the mood to test software outside of work anymore. :)

As soon as b6 is up (or whetever the next will be, if they're already at 6) I'll install it. I know there is a lot (a LOT) of functionality introduced that I want very much. I've read the release notes mutliple times too, but that was over a week ago. It's not getting late and my mind is also drifting. :)

Bruno

#48516 - 30/11/2001 11:25 Re: Batch rename/settings/utilities in emplode [Re: hybrid8]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I hear ya, I used to work in test (I'm in development these days.) I understand your reluctance to bother with an upgrade if b6 were coming out, say, tomorrow... But try to take any potential kinda maybe dates that Rob or anyone else posts with a grain of salt, because as any tester knows, things happen, and dates slip. 2.0b3 was delayed for quite some time while some Emplode installation issues were fixed. So if I were you I'd upgrade now (it takes 5 or 10 minutes) and enjoy 2.0b3 and then not have to worry about when the new beta comes out. Most of the issues that have been found are very minor. But it's up to you.

In any event, I reiterate my request that you stop posting in Wish List and Bug Reports about 1.03. It's just confusing to people who are trying to figure out why you're asking for things that are already there. I had to read through a few of your other posts before I realized you were running 1.03.

Just trying to be helpful.

#48517 - 30/11/2001 19:36 Re: Batch rename/settings/utilities in emplode [Re: tonyc]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I'm a bit afraid that if I run 2.0b3 now, I'll come up with too many suggestions which leaves me with a catch 22. If they start to implement them, then that delays development. If they don't, then that bring on disappointment. :) Hehe.

Ah, maybe I'll fire up the serial connection and put 2.0b3 on while working on a web page. Of course, if I have some devastating problem with it, I'm going to come looking for you.

Bruno