Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#66050 - 03/02/2002 01:47 Auto Sense Aux In
redbutt2

Loc: San Diego, CA
O.k. I searched and didn't see this, but if I missed it and this is a dup request, I am sorry. I would like to see two things in the Aux In category.

1. Auto sense. Yes with Hijack you can remap a button to switch sources (which I have done), but it would be cool to just be able to turn on your devices hooked to the Aux In and have the Empeg just go into Aux mode. the less buttons I have to push while I'm driving, the better.

2. Make Aux Src available wihtout having to boot the player fully. I'll explain this. I have switched my setup to make the Empeg the head unit, and My CD player/radio is hooked to the Aux In. I am one of the lucky folks that got a hoaky drive cable. (While I am waiting for a new one) Very frequently, the player freezes and or gives me the No Hard Disk message. When it gets to that point, I am screwed...no sound from the Empeg, and because it failed to boot al the way, I can't switch the src to Aux In. just today I yanked the drive cable out and switched it around so that the middle connector is no longer in use (great tip from the FAQ...see, some of us DO read it), and the player instantly started behaving, but still think it would be cool to not have to boot the player all the way to utilize the Aux In. Call me crazy, call me lazy, just a few ideas.

#66051 - 03/02/2002 10:08 Re: Auto Sense Aux In [Re: redbutt2]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Solution (work-around to number 1): Leave your aux device ON all the time. Then press 1 button on the empeg to switch to/from AUX.

#2.... Depending on when your drive craps out, you could be halting the entire empeg. Plus, I'm pretty sure the AUX capabilities require the player application to run.

Bruno

#66052 - 03/02/2002 15:27 Re: Auto Sense Aux In [Re: hybrid8]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
It does, since the AUX input has to be re-sampled and fed to the output mixer. Curious, these wishes were mine exactly. I have however built a relay switch to allow my original head unit to drive the amp through line transformers when the empeg is not present/dead from a crappy drive cable.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#66053 - 04/02/2002 05:26 Re: Auto Sense Aux In [Re: schofiel]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

since the AUX input has to be re-sampled and fed to the output mixer

Are you sure? As far as I understood, the AUX input is not actually resampled, routed through the software than fed to the output mixer, but rather is resampled and mixed/equalized etc. in DSP hardware solely. So if this is correct, than it should be possible to have AUX-In routed through the DSP during "standby" operation, and possibly even without fully booting to the player executable.

cu,
sven

#66054 - 05/02/2002 01:13 Re: Auto Sense Aux In [Re: schofiel]
redbutt2

Loc: San Diego, CA
How is your relay switch put together?

#66055 - 08/02/2002 09:04 Re: Auto Sense Aux In [Re: redbutt2]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
>..with Hijack you can remap a button to switch sources

Speaking of which, here is my current favorite remapping (Hijack v190):

Bottom.HL=NextSrc.N,Bottom.UL,null.U
Bottom.CL=Source.N,Bottom.UL,null.U

My Tuner is at home (.H). If yours is in the car, then just reverse the flags like this:

Bottom.CL=NextSrc.N,Bottom.UL,null.U
Bottom.HL=Source.N,Bottom.UL,null.U

-ml