Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#58852 - 14/01/2002 15:40 Time Delay
tracerbullet
addict

Loc: Minnesota
Left / Right, and Front / Rear.

My Sony 600 DSP had this. First (as the driver) you delayed the sound coming from the left speakers, so that it sounded further away from your ear. It feels like moving across from front to right across a row of seats at a concert. Next, you adjusted the delay on the rear speakers, which basically made it feel like you were getting closer or further away from the stage.

I think EVERY stereo should have this option. Put that in my Rio Car and I will be ecstatic.

#58853 - 14/01/2002 16:11 Re: Time Delay [Re: tracerbullet]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
In order for this to be possible, it would have to be supported in the DSP chip that's already embedded in the player. I don't believe it is, not certain. Look up the PDF of the DSP here and see if that's supported.

#58854 - 14/01/2002 16:40 Re: Time Delay [Re: tfabris]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi Tony.

It should at least be possible to do the delay left/right trick for MP3 playback (in software), even if the DSP won't support it. And for me, that would help a lot. I am not very sensitive in the front/rear direction, and I sit almost in the exact middle between front and rear speakers anyway (and I suspect most other people do so as well), but no driver (in no car) is sitting right in the middle between his car's left and right speakers.

cu,
sven

#58855 - 14/01/2002 17:14 Re: Time Delay [Re: tfabris]
tracerbullet
addict

It didn't look like it, I searched a few keywords. "Delay" came up a lot, but I don't think in the manner I was looking for.

I think the software idea might work. Too bad I haven't programmed since school (8 + years ago now). I can't think of how it would be done, but it "seems easy" for the right person. (Oh, there's that new guy again).

#58856 - 15/01/2002 03:02 Re: Time Delay [Re: smu]
Dava

Loc: Bucks UK
In reply to:

... but no driver (in no car) is sitting right in the middle between his car's left and right speakers.

Apart from me in my Mclaren F1

(Maybe this is the answer.... we should have all bought units at clearance and bought F1s with the profits from our ebay sales.)

#58857 - 15/01/2002 16:56 Re: Time Delay [Re: Dava]
tracerbullet
addict

My experience with the front to rear fading is that it really does make a difference. I thought so at least. When you adjust it it feels like the speakers are moving forward and together in front of you, or are being pulled out and around behind you. Kind of sort of like moving towards and away from a stage. (I guess with proper speaker setup it would be EXACTLY like that).