Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#20860 - 20/10/2000 17:00 Mark 1 Docking Connector Issue?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quite some time ago, Rob S. started a thread that got us talking about possible problems with the Mk1's docking connector.

At that time, I seemed to think the problem was related to internal wiring. At first I thought it was dirty contacts on the docking connector, then I thought it was internal wiring, then finally I settled on it being a cable problem where the second IDE cable was pressing against some components.

Well, now I'm back to the docking connector since the problem has returned, and this time I don't have a second IDE drive/cable to blame it on any more.

Also, another Mk1 owner (new to the BBS) just contacted me on ICQ describing the identical problem.

The problem is as follows:

Increasing amounts of noise in the outputs (such as alternator whine like you'd get with a bad ground) that go away when you grab the Empeg by the handle and wiggle the unit in its sleeve. This wiggling is accompanied by crackling noises in the outputs.

Every time I try to diagnose it, by disassembling the player and messing around with the connector, the problem goes away. As a matter of course, part of this disassembly procedure involves cleaning the contacts and the unit's casing with alcohol, so maybe it's the cleaning that's solving the problem.

Only... if I just clean the docking connector pins with a Q-tip, it doesn't solve the problem.

The last time I had the problem, I put tiny washers on the Empeg's docking connector screws so that the connector would protrude a tiny bit farther. This made the problem go away for a while, but now it's slowly coming back.

So it really sounds like an issue with the connector pins getting dirty or scratched or worn or bent or something.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences with their Mk1s?

#20861 - 20/10/2000 21:07 Re: Mark 1 Docking Connector Issue? [Re: tfabris]
Calvin
new poster

Loc: Cd. Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico
I am the one who spoke with tfabris about this problem, and it's driving me nuts! It wasn't that bad at first, but every day it is getting worse to the point that the subwoofer vibration generates the scratchy cracks and pops.
What I do to try to ameliorate this problem is pull the unit until it disengages the connector, then start pushing it little by little until I find a point in the connector contacts where the noise stops (diminishes); but each time it is getting harder and harder. I cannot hit any pits or bumps on the road, crank up the volume or even close the car door or it will make the noise.
So if anyone can share a solution to this problem I (and a few others) will greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Calvin

#20862 - 21/10/2000 09:12 Re: Mark 1 Docking Connector Issue? [Re: Calvin]
Bill Walker
journeyman

Loc: NZ

I've got a similair problem on my mk2, but I think I've fixed it. When I had the problems with my sled, I started getting alternator whine, which didn't go away when I put the screw back in yesterday. So I adjusted the contacts on the docking connnector as it looked as if they were in different positions. The problem is now fixed, but I would expect it to come back after time...

rgds

Bill

PS: I used to have the same problem on my old pullout Head unit

-------------
MK II, (Blue but should be Amber) SN: 118

#20863 - 23/10/2000 10:37 Re: Mark 1 Docking Connector Issue? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

An update:

I removed the washers (described in my last message), cleaned the connectors firmly (both the sleeve and the empeg) with alcohol and Q-tips, and cleaned the casing and the inside of the sleeve with alcohol. As before, the problem is gone for now.

The next time the problem comes up, I'll try just cleaning without any dismantling or fiddling with the unit and see if that solves the problem.

Question: Is it important for the empeg's casing to ground against the guide bumps inside the sleeve?

#20864 - 25/10/2000 08:07 Re: Mark 1 Docking Connector Issue? [Re: tfabris]
Squid2k1

Loc: Ocean Floor
Does this mean there has not been a problem with the Mark 2 docking connector? At least none reported or 'can not happen?'

Thanks.

Squid2k1
---
18GB of Green Mk II Fury - Fast As A Shark

#20865 - 25/10/2000 09:20 Re: Mark 1 Docking Connector Issue? [Re: Squid2k1]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Does this mean there has not been a problem with the Mark 2 docking connector? At least none reported or 'can not happen?'

The Mark2 connector is from a different supplier and is a different design. That doesn't mean it can't have problems.

Keep in mind that the problem I'm experiencing with my Mk1 connector took many months to develop. The Mark2's haven't been out that long yet, so only time will tell if they suffer from the same thing.

Also keep in mind that the problem I'm having might be as simple as needing to clean the pins regularly, which if you think about it, isn't really a problem.

#20866 - 25/10/2000 12:29 Re: Mark 1 Docking Connector Issue? [Re: tfabris]
Wire

Loc: Jylland, Denmark
In reply to:

Also keep in mind that the problem I'm having might be as simple as needing to clean the pins regularly, which if you think about it, isn't really a problem.

My dishes also need cleaning after I use them. I see that as a serious design flaw :)

Lars

#20867 - 25/10/2000 19:17 Re: Mark 1 Docking Connector Issue? [Re: tfabris]
Calvin
new poster

I found and solved the problem. And it was not the connector, at least not directly.
I opened my empeg to check the wires attached to the connector, because when I moved it, it would crack and pop.
Behind the connector, under the HD tray, it's the audio output connector. The wires coming out of the plug were bunched in an awkward manner under the tray, so I removed the try to fix them, and found out that one of the shield wires was broken off the connector, and was only making intermittent contact with the terminal. The other shield wire was about to break also, as I was just straightening the wires it broke off. So I decided that the bunching of the wires under the tray and the car vibration had broken off the wires.
So I just soldered the shield wires to their terminals and arranged the wires so they were not pressed by anything and now my problem is gone. I can shake and hit my empeg as much as I want and the sound is crystal clear, when before even by closing the door of my car would cause a terrible rasping sound.
I hope this helps anybody else who may encounter this problem. Check for vibration-weakened or broken cables, or even by vibration-broken wire insulation.

Calvin

#20868 - 25/10/2000 20:11 Re: Mark 1 Docking Connector Issue? [Re: Calvin]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Ah, good, glad to know it's taken care of for you.

Were the rubber gromits on your drive tray loose by any chance?

Recently, I used RTV silicone to re-glue mine and they haven't come undone since. But I'm wondering if loose drive-tray gromits were part of the reason the cabling got damaged?

#20869 - 25/10/2000 20:31 Re: Mark 1 Docking Connector Issue? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

It has been brought to my attention by the Spelling Police *COUGH*tanstaafl*COUGH* that I misspelled "Grommets" in that last post.

I would like everyone to know that if they don't like it, they can blame Nick Park.

#20870 - 25/10/2000 22:26 Re: Mark 1 Docking Connector Issue? [Re: tfabris]
Calvin
new poster

I did check the rubber dampers, but they were ok.

#20871 - 26/10/2000 02:11 Re: Mark 1 Docking Connector Issue? [Re: tfabris]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The tray shock absorbers were redesigned with bigger flanges on the mk2; this helps a lot (mk1 ones needed to be glued in otherwise they tended to come out).

Hugo

#20872 - 26/10/2000 03:13 Re: Mark 1 Docking Connector Issue? [Re: Calvin]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
This is, verbatim, exactly the situation I had with mine.

I re-routed the wiring and resoldered two broken shield wires, re-glued the shock mounts and I have had absolutely no crackle or pickup problems since.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015