While I ``get'' that cartoon, and it does make a good point, and it makes it in a witty manner, it's not actually funny. It's the kind of thing that makes you snort oh-so-slightly and bob your head, as if in imitation of laughing. It's like the Victorian idea of humor, where it simply has to appear to be humorous without actually eliciting an emotional response. It's like an incredible simulation of humor

Well put. I'm searching for a word -- some combination of subtle, sublime and ____ -- that described how I look at his stuff. One effect of looking at the cartoons in the original paperbacks is that I think they convey the one-after-the-other sight gags and change-ups better. That being said, much of it isn't funny in an inadverdent-propulsion-of-soft-drink-out-my-nose kind of way. For me, part of what makes up for that is that I just love his carictures - I appreciate his drawing and expressions more than any other cartoonist I can think of.

Anyhow, 2 books on their way. I may not see them for several weeks. They are coming slow-boat book rate and I am traveling for most of the next 10 weeks (that whole job thing). When i get them, though, I may scan a few of the harder-to-find, Jim-thinks-they're-actually-funny examples.

Wow, it's a hyphen kind of day.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.