Lately, with all of the cool things people have developed for the empeg, I find myself wondering how large of a leap it would be to start maintaining a full distribution of all things Empeg. Like, I know smu did some work on an upgrade builder/splitter package which, if I remember correctly, allows for creating upgrade files that are compatible with the empeg car upgrade utility. I'm not sure how mature it is yet, but I think it's a great start.

So I think it would be cool for people to start thinking about how we could manage an entire empeg distribution, consisting of the latest releases of:

- the empeg car software
- the hijack kernel
- the various and sundry apps, games, and utilities that we've all developed

Packaging these in an .upgrade file would seem kinda cool, except that we would all lose our config files in /etc.. Unless we had an alternate chrooted environment as has been suggested in the past... Then we'd have to figure out how to allow for upgrades to certain programs without flashing an entire upgrade (I guess debian's dpkg would be a good candidate.)

Of course, there would be some time/effort for whatever person or persons are maintaining the distribution, but I think it would be kinda fun, too. I'd offer whatever services I can... But I guess I'm just fishing for comments on how much work would be needed to create an entire standard Empeg distribution that we could all share. This would make it a lot easier for newbies to get up and running with all of the latest Empeg goodies, and would also make programmers' lives easier due to standard locations for everything.

Anyone have any experience in this arena?