Well, after much digging around, I have to conclude you're right! I can't find it either.

About the time I picked up my Mk1 last August, I was looking at Kenwood's remotes. At that time they had three steering remotes, the KCA-R700 and two others. The 700 was the basic one, and the other two provided extra key sets. You apparently chose which additional one you wanted depending on your head unit.

Digging around yesterday, I can no longer find the additional ones, implying that they have been withdrawn. I had a look back through my old catalogues, but I have nad no joy there either.

I seem to recall that the two extra units were numbered 701 & 702, but I am not sure and cannot find any references to these numbers.

It probably means that the only way you wil be able to manipulate the menu from the remote will be (as you propose) would be the modification of the empeg response to the SRC button on the 700, but how do you propose to generate the "Menu Exit" functionality now handled by the * on the R600 remote?

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015