However, I imagine that the admin UI for the new ones is probably about a thousand times easier to use than the UIs for any of the older systems. They're mostly still based on the idea that the tech would be controlling the whole thing from a touch-tone phone, and, as such, the commands are more oblique than any Unix system.

Yes, most (if not all) of the newer systems have a web interface, and/or a full GUI (Java, Windows, etc). And, I wouldn't even mind going with an older, used system because I have worked with them before, and the command line isn't really as annoying as others make it out to be. Reminds me a lot of being on a BBS back in the early 90's .

I do think you're right though. I'll have to seriously look at going with a Lucent or Nortel (used, if I have to). After the work I did with a Lucent a year ago, I quite like the way they work, and was impressed by the features and robustness. Not to mention that it was easy to get CCS working with it. My biggest concern at the moment is to not get myself into more than I can handle. I'm already handling ALL the IT related issues. Now with having to do the telecom side of things as well, I don't want to spread myself too thin. Maybe I'll just include an additional employee in the budget to handle all telecom related issues.
ricin.us