Hmm. Now I just got the "skip" bug when it was shuffling the whole player and it was on the song "Ray of light". I rewound it a bit to make sure the track was OK, then I left it alone. When it hit the end of the song, it said "End of playlist" and sat there. I couldn't FF or REW, or change tracks, or anything. Switching the info modes revealed a completely blank playlist with no songs in it at all, and the pause indicator on. Selecting a playlist again from the menu worked, of course.

And no, I hadn't done a search and selected only that song. It had been playing a shuffled playlist of my whole player (over 1000 songs).

I wonder if that was related to the skip, too?

Oh, and while we're at it, all during the first song of the new playlist after this happened, the "Now and Next" screen thought the player was paused (showed the pause indicator), when it was actually playing Kate Bush's "Running up that hill" with no problem (a little joke there, if you know the song lyrics). When it went to the next song in the playlist, the pause indicator disappeared.