rev: I'm sorry, what do you mean "make that hack to scale"?

Tony: thanks for the tip on the fascias. I have a crazy notion that I might try to make one. I've wanted a wood one since I saw Paul's.

everyone: I have had some crazy ideas about this. Drop in slot load would be tough to get out without shaking the damn thing. Also, I'm worried about it staying in place. So, I had the overly complex ideas of using notches in the side of the lense to snap it in place. Yeah, it's hard to describe, but if I feel motivated, I'll make a pic.

Better yet (and more complex), how about a "door" on top? The door would kind of cover the slot in the fascia. Best thing about it is, the door would be hinged and have some kind of pegs extending off of it. The pegs would rest just above the hex screws. Purpose? The drop in lense would sit on the hinged pegs. So, when you open the hinge, it leveraged the pegs up and lifts the lense up just enough for you to get a grip on it.

To solve the problem of the blank spot under the right button, you could modify the above idea a little. In this case, make the latch only have a peg on the right side of the unit. Thus, when you open the latch and drop the lense in, the left side will drop straight to the hex screw but the right side will be held up at an angle. With a little geometry and planning, it could work that closing the latch would drop the right side of the lense, hooking the under-the-right-button part right into place. The only problem with that is there isn't a whole lot of clearance for the right side of the lense (over the IR) to swing without hitting the side of the fascia.

Yeah, it's all just brainstorming right now. No, it's not really in such great demand. I do have a "color change lense" idea that would be WAY cooler, but it would cost hundreds and is technicaly far beyond me. Anyway, I might make some 3D renders of my ideas and try to animate them. Well, first I have to get some sleep and pay some bills and junk.