In reply to:

Why do you assume they were "Students"? That's a pretty bigoted thing to say

You may think that my assertion about them being students is bigotted but you are wrong.

I said they were "students" because the consumer rights show that followed up on the original complaints tracked down the "agent"/wholesaler who sold the guys in the vans the goods in the first place (this same agent also denied any responsibility for the sales pitches and prices being charged by the people selling the speakers on the streets).

This "agent" said that he believed they were mostly students and he indicated that he particularly advertised amoungst the student community (rather than the unemployed) as they generally had a driving license, were keen to earn extra money for their studies etc and did not mind travelling out of town if needed (obviously to rip off locals in other places nearby).

So, thats why I said they were students, whether the current crop of people selling them locally are still students I don't know, but these guys were students when the issue first appeared here, were described as such and nobody seemed to care one way or the other - there are crooked people in all walks of life, and the number of people in vans selling these things at any one time is probably pretty small, so to say that the van drivers are students is not necassarily IMHO casting aspersions on every student in the country or world.

Edited by number6 (16/11/2002 14:58)