Greetings!

I shipped by last player down to Stuart for the digital output board installation. While it had some hard drive cable issues I had forgotten about, it was fully functional. It did, however, show the strange behavior mentioned in other parts of the board: basically the player would begin alternating between the sources (aux in and mp3) very quickly. The way I found to break this cycle was just to click pause. Nothing that I worried about.

When Stuart received the player, the display was dead. No sign of damage to the fill nipple, nothing appeared wrong. The button hack illuminated properly, the controls worked, etc. Just no pixels illuminating. Stuart checked the fuses per the FAQ and found that they seemed fine. He also did a bit of extra diagnostics, but nothing seemed to be wrong. But he did notice something unusual.

The cable between the display and the main board had frayed, most likely due to friction with the shock mount plate or the hard drive itself. While it had been working before shipment, it is likely that the jarring of shipment (enough to cause the hard drive cable to come loose again) frayed the cable even further.

As soon as I get the player back from the installation, I will test with the display cable from another player. If that is the cause, I will post it here. Otherwise, it will probably be shipped in for some repair work. I have already contacted support, and I will update David with the information Stuart sent.

I just wanted to post it here. If you are experiencing similar "strange behavior", and I know that some of the people here posted about it previously, you may want to visually inspect your display cable for signs of damage.

And a big, public "Thank You" to Stuart for trying to debug and trace the problem.