I have a bootleg recording of a concert I went to a couple of weeks ago (Toad the Wet Sprocket) that I want to clean up and convert to mp3. I am looking for any suggestions on how to improve the sound quality as much as possible. As I understand it this was recorded with pretty good equipment and I have the WAV files. There are three things that I want to do to the wavs before converting to mp3.

1. Normalize them, they are only about half as loud as they should be. No problems here, I have several pieces of software that will do this.
2. Decrease the bass/boost the mids and highs. I have a shareware program called Sound Studio that looks like it will do this OK.
3. This is the one I am not sure how to do. The music seems to be mostly mids. If you think of the waveform that would represent the audible range all the lows and highs are smashed into the mid range. Is there any way to flatten that wave form to make the lows more low and the highs more high? I am thinking of the way Photoshop will let you set white and black points for a photo and stretch the available data to fit that new curve. Does this even make sence to do with audio? Can anybody recommend a program to do this (that runs on Mac OS or linux/freebsd) or at least give me a name for the process that I am trying to describe?

So the plan would be to concatinate alll the files into a single wav run the three operations above on the resulting file (so modifications are consistent accross all of the concert), chop back into individual files and convert to mp3. Does this sound like a reasonable way to do this? Any other suggestions on getting the most out of a less that perfect audio source?

Thanks,
-Mike