Tony, I don't see how you would have enough room to mount a center channel speaker up near the sunglasses holder.

Not near. In place of.

I'd remove the sunglasses holder and replace it with a handmade grille. Beneath that entire plastic assembly would be a 5" center channel speaker. Right now, the only thing that's up there is the sunglasses holder and two map lights. The map lights would stay, the sunglasses holder would go. It would take a lot of custom mounting to do it, but it would totally rock if I could pull it off. If done carefully, it could be reversible when I sell the car.

My only question is what would the imaging be like if I did that. I'd hate to go to all that trouble and have it sound like crap. It's very near the driver/passenger's heads, and would fill the driver's right ear pretty seriously.

Another option would be to drill a rosette pattern in the "ceiling" of the center knicknack bay in front of the gear shift. Actually, that would be a lot easier to do, and there's more room for a speaker in there. The only problem is that this option wouldn't raise the soundstage, I'd still have a soundstage at my knees. So I'd have to combine that with figuring out how to get dash speakers in.