Yeah, we *can* obviously deal with the occaisonal overlap, but it's not like we're hurting for free CPU. The player on average seems to use 30-45%, and the lyrics scroller is using 4% at most. There's spare CPU cycles to be had, they're just not being spent in the right place. Yes, I'm being a perfectionist somewhat here, but it seems like if there's a resource there, and nobody else needs it, I should be able to get it, and, more to the point, the sleep times should be more accurate than the 10ms kernel timeslice interval.

As for what I'm doing, you did miss something. I am continuing development of the lyrics scroller that Patrick Giasson wrote and released a few weeks ago, although at this point, it's hard to say my code looks like his anymore. He released it with a few known problems, and I've tried to fix them. I've also added true ID3v2 synchronized lyrics support, and have fixed issues related to detecting rewinds/fast forwards, song changes, etc, which the original version didn't handle very well. He has said he'd like to focus on a Winamp or XMMS plugin for adding the timestamps to the lyrics, and since I'm more experienced as a C programmer, I offered to do more of the primary development of the scroller. So that's where we're at.