I wonder if anyone could comment on how tricky it is to install an amp/sub setup. I have managed to do a couple of simple installs ( last one was a head unit and CD autochanger in the boot ), but have zero experiance of amps / speaker / sub installs. I would like to have a go myself, not to save money, just that its a second ( treasured )car that I would rather take apart myself, can be off the road for a few days if required, and I want to learn about doing it at the same time.
My initial questions are what amp ( 4 channel ? Will this drive a sub ? Did I read you need variable inputs ? )do I buy, what speakers, what sub. Car is a 1990's Lotus Elan - soft top, door speakers ( could change but limited by size that will fit existing mounts ), rear speakers righ behind seats low down ( good chance to put much bigger - 16x9 - in this panel, but would still be low down and behind seats ), single DIN slot in dash ( current Kenwood head unit - gotta check what inputs / outputs on it ). There appears to be some room under where soft top stores when down - maybe for amp and even sub ( 10" ? ). I'm not looking for the loudest system in the world, but am interested in quality sound. TIA for any advice.

Oh I wish I had not gone for the full 7 speaker cinema setup at home with the 14" sub - now I realise what a great set of speakers can sound like !

- --
Rod, UK Mk2 Red S/No.341