I wonder if anyone could comment on how tricky it is to install an amp/sub setup. I have managed to do a couple of simple installs ( last one was a head unit and CD autochanger in the boot ), but have zero experiance of amps / speaker / sub installs.

If installing the CD changer involved running the wiring into the boot yourself (instead of using the car's built-in wiring), then you already have the necessary skills.

But if it was some kind of plug-into-the-existing-wiring setup, then you probably should talk to a pro installer, because that part's tough if you're not prepared for it. Dismantling portions of your car and running cables through the nooks and crannies is not for the faint of heart.

My initial questions are what amp ( 4 channel ? Will this drive a sub ?

If you have 4 speakers, then you need 4 channels. If you have 4 speakers plus a subwoofer, then you need 5 channels. They make 5-channel amps that will do 4 speakers plus a subwoofer. If you're doing this all from scratch, that's a good choice.

The other option is to purchase a self-powered subwoofer. But that would probably be more expensive than getting a 5-channel amp since you're starting from scratch.

Did I read you need variable inputs ? )

All good amplifiers will have a gain control on them to tune their input. If the amp doesn't have that control, I'd suggest looking elsewhere for an amp with a proper feature set.

what speakers, what sub.

Talk to a stereo shop to answer that question because there are a lot of different answers. If you can, talk to Crutchfield on the telephone. I don't know where you're located in the world or whether they can ship to where you are.

Make sure that your salesman knows that the speakers, amplifier, and subwoofer will all be going into the same system, so that they can be sure all of the power ratings match reasonably.

( good chance to put much bigger - 16x9 - in this panel, but would still be low down and behind seats ),

I think you got distracted by our conversation about widescreen movies. Surely you mean 6x9 speakers?

The only tricky part about doing an amp install yourself is that it introduces the possibility for ground loops and engine noise if you don't do it properly. Make sure you run heavy-gague ground wire and power wire to the boot and ground everything at the same point.